THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Holt's Unsold lots now available
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holt's Unsold lots now available
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bolts has some fine doubles for sale that did not sell in the last auction. There are some great deals for those that can deal with the importation.

http://auctions.holtsauctionee..._value=35&index=view

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how expensive and difficult it is to bring rifles into the US from holts?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imported a blackpowder double rifle from them last year and it cost around $500.00. I went to the receiving airport myself and got it through customs. No problem except trying to find when customs were in. I went to the airlines (Fedex) to get paper work then went to custom agent who filled papers out then back to Fedex to pick up rifle. Using an "agent" is too expensive and not needed, at least with a rifle classified as an antique. Airport was Pittsburgh international.

Posts: 80 | Location: Toronto, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful lads. Remember the rather stiff buyers premium that is added to the sales price. Also what you don't see is what you get as well. Have someone in UK who is knowledgeable to examine the gun/rifle that you are considering.

I lived and worked in UK for a couple times and the auction houses there operate in like mode and as any other country that I have lived in: buyer beware.

There is a reason why they are unsold, find out before you click.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The H&H 500 NE is really cheap for a virtually unfired rifle.

H&H above 450 cal have a reputation for going off face after 30 odd shots according to some experts.

I looked at some of the BPE in Dec and bid on one which I though was really nice. My bid was just a couple of hundred $ less than what they offered it for after the auction!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
The H&H 500 NE is really cheap for a virtually unfired rifle.

H&H above 450 cal have a reputation for going off face after 30 odd shots according to some experts.

I looked at some of the BPE in Dec and bid on one which I though was really nice. My bid was just a couple of hundred $ less than what they offered it for after the auction!

Nakihunter;

Interesting comment by "some experts" concerning H&H DR's above .500 caliber coming off face with 30 rounds are so fired. No flames intended,but do you happen to remember who these "experts" were and if they have published their information in any sort of way? If their hypothesis is true, which it cannot be, H&H would be putting they their .577 rifles they make on face 2 or 3 times during testing and regulating before they were sold.

To my mind, the way H&H builds DR's with the locked up a replaceable hardened action "draw" insert which fits snug against front face of the rear lump circle when the DR action is closed; likely makes the Holland DR last ages without going off face where it is a .375 Flanged or a .577 and larger.

If you do find something that is printed by these experts, please post it as I will give it to some of the Holland people I will be talking to next Month; and share with all here what their response was.

Regards; ( Wow, what a beautiful place you live in. When I was a school boy 60 years ago your late countryman Edmund Hillary was my Hero.)

Transvaal, aka Steve

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Some good ones left on www.jamesdjulia.com too

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Can you tell me where to find the unsold inventory?
Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Russell, call Josh Lowensteiner, use my name, or: http://jamesdjulia.com/auction...ty-arms/?available=1
This recent auction was incredible.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest! Did you fly up and attend?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There was a well known Hollywood figure here on AR who was an expert on DRs and owned several top end H&H, Wesley Richards, Purdey etc. He used to post a few years ago & he made that comment on more than one occasion.

He claimed that he said so to the face of H&H chairman.

The conversation went something like this

H&H Chairman - "When are you going to order a big bore DR from us?"

Hollywood DR owner - "When you make one above 450 cal that does not go off face after 30 rounds".

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would that have been John Milius?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Thanks Forrest! Did you fly up and attend?
No, have to control myself. I do that by bidding absentee, never go over my limit that way. Lots of fantastic stuff coming out of the closets lately, old timers who grew up with classic guns dying off, estate planning, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally seen two Holland early non-reinforced actions in .375 H&H that had cracked receivers. Don't know about going off face, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Searcy 577....not much else of interest to me.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have a shipment heading in shortly, if you see something you like I can get it here for you.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote