THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel 140 Double Rifle - 500 NE 3"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 Double Rifle - 500 NE 3"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine just bought a Merkel for an upcoming elephant hunt in March 2009.

He's looking to buy a set of reloading dies but Hornady said they will not be available until sometime in 2009. RCBS wants around $300. What other die mfg's have the 500 NE dies. If any used dies out there, email me at rslus@hotmail.com

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought/use RCBS. Bought another seating die this summer from them. They were about $250. I haven't had any problems, they work fine.

Jerry Meyers Expeditions
254 Fourth of July Cr.
North Fork, ID 83466
(208) 865-2449
hunts4u@centurytel.net

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rslus:
A friend of mine just bought a Merkel for an upcoming elephant hunt in March 2009.

He's looking to buy a set of reloading dies but Hornady said they will not be available until sometime in 2009. RCBS wants around $300. What other die mfg's have the 500 NE dies. If any used dies out there, email me at rslus@hotmail.com

Welcome to the wounderfull world of Nitro Express double rifle loading! Big Grin

That $300 USD is less than one box of Federal factory ammo! You're money ahead to buy the setup to load for these cartridges. Hawk makes cheap bullets as well for loading to shoot paper, or North American game for practice.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend bought CH4D for his 577 NE they seem to be real nice and quite a bit cheaper than RCBS. That being said I have RCBS for my 470 NE and 404 Jeffery and MacD37 is right you are money ahead plus you shoot more if you can reload espically reduced lead loads,

Barnes has reloading data on their website for the 500 NE.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay clear of CH4D!!! I had some custom .257 TCU dies made by them, and they were junk. thumbdown I talked with numerous others on AR that had the same fate in a wide array of calibers. Precision to CH4D is: chucking a reamer in a hand drill and making a "kinda round" hole..."kinda" the right depth. hammering
You get what you pay for...stay with a name brand.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of RCBS 500 NE dies and shell holder I'm not currently using. I don't want to sell them because I plan to buy another 500 in the next few years, but I would loan them to your friend if he will cover postage and send them back to me after his hunt.

PM me if you are interested.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NITRO DAVE,

WHEN DID YOU HAVE THE TROUBLE WITH 4 D DIES ?

I'VE BEEN USING CH 4D DIES FOR 30 YEARS WITH NEVER A PROBLEM.

BUT THEN I WAS IN REAL CALIBERS - LIKE THE BIG ENGLISH, NOT WHTEVER THAT POPGUN YOU GOT DIES FOR.

NEVER HEARD OF IT MESELF. AND COULD CARE LESS FOR SMALL BORE STUFF. NO OFFENSE , JUST NO USE FOR TOYS, TOM

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
NITRO DAVE,

I'VE BEEN USING CH 4D DIES FOR 30 YEARS WITH NEVER A PROBLEM.

BUT THEN I WAS IN REAL CALIBERS - LIKE THE BIG ENGLISH, NOT WHTEVER THAT POPGUN YOU GOT DIES FOR.

NEVER HEARD OF IT MESELF. AND COULD CARE LESS FOR SMALL BORE STUFF. NO OFFENSE , JUST NO USE FOR TOYS, TOM

Is a 303 a Big Bore?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
NITRO DAVE,

Is a 303 a Big Bore?

jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote