THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First impressions of a Searcy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First impressions of a Searcy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Well, I received a field grade Searcy rifle this year. It was one of the last batch that Butch was making, I figured it was now or never. The truth is I have wanted one for years and holding off has just cost me more money.

The rifle was ordered last August and came delivered in the end of April, I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would take longer.

The fit and finish is excellent, and the wood is a bit nicer than what I would expect from a "field" grade rifle.

While waiting for the rifle to be built I started hoarding the supplies that I needed to reload. I got RCBS dies, some once fired Federal brass and 100 Hornady DGX bullets and 2 lbs of IMR 4831.

The one problem I initially had was that I ended up to get a double rifle built sooner than I could obtain the Federal 215 primers I needed to reload for it!!

Butch solved my problem by selling me a big batch of Hornady factory brass that was primed at a great price. Big Grin

So I loaded up 8 rounds with the regulation load that Butch recommends, 106 grains of IMR 4831 with a 500 grain Hornady. I shot it at 35 yards off hand first, then leaning on a modified high bench, basically my tool box on top of the bench with a sand bag to brace my hand on.

Both 2 shot groups were 1.5 low and 1.5 right and the two bullets were just a hair over 1 inch apart. They chronoed at 2160 to 2172. I am very pleased!!

I plan to move the sights a blond c hair after I shoot it again at 50 yards and see what it is doing. My goal is to have it dead nuts on at 50 yards.

BTW the recoil is very manageable. It is a big shove as they say, not a punch. I was completely able to recover from the recoil and get on the target and land the second shot in under one second when shooting the steel target.

I have shot a few real big cannons (585 Nyati comes to mind) these guns ate fun to shoot but not at all practical for hunting in my humble opinion. They might as well be single shots by the time you recover from recoil, muzzle rise and reacquire your target. I have to say in my somewhat limited experience I think the 470 NE is as big as anyone should go when it comes to practical hunting.

BTW the 1/2 inch steel plate that I shot with it got a nice dent in it after spinning like a pinwheel!! This is a steel plate that has taken THOUSANDS of 223 rounds and many 300 win mag, 375H&H, 45-70 rounds with no visible damage.

Check out the pictures on the shutterfly link below.

http://share.shutterfly.com/sh...&sid=8AZNXDhq3atFHUM

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ya done good! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am jealous of that wood! The wood on my new Field Grade looks like something you would find on a Remington 700. Just straight grained with no figure what so ever.
You did good.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, the difference is that Butch LIKES Honkey !!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I am glad someone likes me!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote