New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving reload time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After watching the photobucket video of the gentlemen from the topic about your double in Alaska, I was very impressed by reload time. I understand that perfect practice makes perfect performance, he has an advantage with his chambers. I literally have to take the time to pluck the brass from my Spr in .30-06, is there a way to brush out the chambers so they will slide in and out more easily or does this come with time and wear? And by working on the chambers does something need to be done to the extractor as well? Just curious and and thought I would ask. Thank you for all your help.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
On a double rifle with rimless cartridges isn't there a spring loaded pin that holds the cartridge in place. I've seen it on my 06 drilling and my 06 valmet. If this is the case I believe the cartridges could never flop out as you open the gun. This only happens on a rimmed cartridge if I have it correct.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it with that particular rifle.

Double rifles are intended for flanged shells. The "flange" or rim can't slide past the rim seat of the extractor, so extraction is 100% reliable. When chambered for a rimless cartridge, the extractors must be fitted with a special device - typically a spring loaded pawl - that snaps into the extractor groove, thus permitting extraction.

The rim of a flanged shell simply sits atop the rim seat of the extractor and thus will fall out after primary extraction is accomplised via opening the gun. The rimless shell is lifted by the extractor pawl, which snaps down into the extractor groove. Since the pawl must ride up and out of the extractor groove in order for the shell to be removed, they won't fall out, and have to be removed manually. This is why double rifles chambered for rimless shells need ejectors and those chambered for flanged shells don't.
-------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is why double rifles chambered for rimless shells need ejectors and those chambered for flanged shells don't.

Agreed and understood. Thanks for the help, I'll keep plucking away.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote