THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best dies, brass for 9,3X74R?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best dies, brass for 9,3X74R?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
It seems I shall soon be eligible for membership in the DRSS with a lovely 9,3. Any thoughts on most compatible dies and best brass for this caliber in a Merkel? I was thinking of just ordering RCBS or Hornady dies, and Hornady brass, but would love to hear impressions from experienced 9,3X74 shooters and reloaders.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with RCBS dies and Hornady brass - I use both for my 9.3x74R doubles and Searcy stalking rifle. The Norma 9.3x74R brass is also very good. Grafs usually has a good supply of it.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
You can't go wrong with RCBS dies and Hornady brass - I use both for my 9.3x74R doubles and Searcy stalking rifle. The Norma 9.3x74R brass is also very good. Grafs usually has a good supply of it.

Mangwana

Plus one on the RCBS dies! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fav dies are RCBS, my fav 9.3 brass is RWS. The only brass i've had problems with is Norma.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l am using Hornady brass in my 9.3x74R, and l think l have Redding dies.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I've had issues with Hornady dies....I'd go with Redding or RCBS.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another option for brass is the buy GECCO (A branch of RWS) loaded ammo which is almost cheaper than RWS cases on their own and you get a loaded case as a bonus.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS dies for mine.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:

Mangwana

tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Ordered RCBS dies, Hornady brass and some nice cheap Graf's PRVI 285-grain JSPs to play with ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Thanks guys. Ordered RCBS dies, Hornady brass and some nice cheap Graf's PRVI 285-grain JSPs to play with ...

Good show Bill, enjoy! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use rcbs dies and norma brass, tried some selliot & bellot brass ( All new ) and many of the S&B cases were damaged, also the primer pockets were shallow, so with standard CCI primers sat proud. However they worked fine in my Laurona double rifle and my first shot with my rifle poleaxed a good wild boar in France. Used a 286 gr Nosler 'Partition', driven by Rl-15,the brass is thin so for hunting only reload the cases twice, then they are for range use only. RWS brass is very good to. Happy Hunting !

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ross: Thanks for the hint on Re15. I was wondering about best powders for this case (asked in the reloading forum).

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Rl 15 in my 6.5X55 Swedish sporting rifle and in the 9.3X74R. my rifle is Laurona and I can alter the point of impact of the bottom barrel in relation to that of the top barrel with an allen wrench, so am not stuck to one load in this rifle. I use it on a 2 day driven boar hunt in France,in heavy forest.I am not a paying guest so might be a 'back gun' or at a point where some boar may slip past the line of 16 'guns'. I am shooting within 70 yards.
Rl 15 is quite a slow powder,I load all rounds to to the guidlines. I started at 52 grns pushing a norma 232 grn FMJ (practice round) and worked up to 54 grn and 286 grn Nosler 'Partition' bullets for 'the real thing',group size is @ 1.5" at 50 yards Freehand. Primers are standard CCI, brass is Norma or RWS. The reason I only use cases twice when hunting, is do not want case head separation issues in the field. Hope this helps..

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I have killed a lot of pigs and deer with Privi bullets. You can use them for 90% of your shooting and used the expensive bullets for the expensive trips.

Redding dies, Norma and RWS brass have given me good results.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote