Find
Notify
Tools

Extractors vs. Ejectors
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I just wanted to take an informal poll. Call me crazy but I actually prefer extractors over ejectors. Up until the Jaeger thread, i didn't know you could buy a Heym PH for a couple grand less with extractors only and frankly, I really don't want to pay for something I don't want. Anyone else like me out there?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I posted this over on the Jaeger thread as well in response to your post. I also like extractors. When I ordered my VC, I wanted extractors, 1) because I like them and 2) to save some money. The price difference was $325, not $2K. I ordered ejectors!! I've seen ejectors priced at $2K from several makers, but not all of them.

The Sabatti with ejectors is $500 more. I think the Merkel with ejectors is about the same difference, but I haven't looked at one in awhile so I'm not exactly sure.

This is one of the things that makes me question the $3k and $4K price tag on intercepting sears that some are quoting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy has ejectors, my Blaser has extractors, I can get used to either. I think it is whatever you get and get used to.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I just wanted to take an informal poll. Call me crazy but I actually prefer extractors over ejectors. Up until the Jaeger thread, i didn't know you could buy a Heym PH for a couple grand less with extractors only and frankly, I really don't want to pay for something I don't want. Anyone else like me out there?

Dave I have both and seem to shoot and re-load just about as quickly either way! In most places I also prefer extractors, but if taking on something like a wounded lion the charges can come from very close or from 100 yds and on the long charge, the ejectors may let you reload one time during that charge that you wouldn’t get with extractors. Buffalo rarely charge even when wounded, as long as you are not too close, but lions are a different ball game when wounded they will sometimes charge you when they SEE you from 100 yds or more and they are lightening fast.

One thing that I like was a feature on a Heym 450NE 3.25” I had some years ago. That rifle had a selector switch on the forearm so the ejectors could be disengaged leaving the rifle extractors only and back with just a flick of the switch. IMO, if Heym still offers that feature, I would buy the basic rifle and pay extra for that little switch. I wish I had never sold my Heym with that switch, and I believe that feature should be offered on every double rifle on the market today, if it is chambered for dangerous game cartridges.

I carried that rifle with the ejectors disengaged most of the time while hunting, but when the bush got tight enough to effectively shorten the range I would turn the ejectors back on. On the firing range, disengaging the ejectors keep the brass from being tossed onto the concrete or hitting someone walking behind you. The other plus is when you re-sell ejectors will get you top dollar over extractors.

This just a long winded response that could have been addressed in the simple statement that it is your choice, and money! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Both extractor and ejector, with a selector switch. The former at the range saves hunting around for brass on the ground; the latter could be a life-saver in the field.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ejectors all the way and if they break, guess what you're left with?.... extractors!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like ejectors but I should have extractors because I still have a BAD habit of catching the brass as I eject them. Oh yes I want my brass and will bend over to pick them up off the ground during a hunt. BAD HABIT!!!! Extractors will for sure give you a bad habit of keeping the brass. You don't realize how much time you spend catching the brass or picking it up and putting it in your pocket. On my first buffalo hunt a friend is heard on the video saying "Forget the brass!" Yes I was bending over to pick up my empties with a buffalo 15 yards from me, oh he was dead but the dead ones kill you. BAD HABIT! Now I just break the gun open and hope I don't try and catch the brass. If you are practicing let the brass hit the dirt and pick it up later. Michael458 loves my ejectors because he gets to watch me running to catch the brass before it hits the concrete when he's shooting. Pay the money and get ejectors and FORGET THE BRASS.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ejectors!!!

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing that I like was a feature on a Heym 450NE 3.25” I had some years ago. That rifle had a selector switch on the forearm so the ejectors could be disengaged leaving the rifle extractors only and back with just a flick of the switch. IMO, if Heym still offers that feature, I would buy the basic rifle and pay extra for that little switch. I wish I had never sold my Heym with that switch, and I believe that feature should be offered on every double rifle on the market today, if it is chambered for dangerous game cartridges.

Yes, you can have this as an extra.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer extractors. 2 possible exceptions: 1) If I was hunting wounded big five or elephant under any condition. 2) In any belted cartridge.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Extractors. Since 99% of my shooting is at targets, I don't want my expensive brass to be flung out onto the concrete floor at the range. Yes, I can catch them but that is a bad habit to get into; train as you will fight. I can reload rifles with extractors fast enough. Not to mention that John Taylor preferred extractors, but for a different reason. (He didn't want to scare the elephants nearby so he could shoot as many as possible at one sitting.)

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Most certainly ejectors. You can always disable them. As far as "catching" the brass, just place your hand over the breech when opening. Then pick them out (just like an extractor gun). It's really not that complicated. Roll Eyes

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, BAD HABIT!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Don, BAD HABIT!

Point taken Sam. With enough practice at the range and the real thing, it becomes second nature not to place your hand over the breech when your ass is on the line and it's the real deal.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don, BAD HABIT!

Sam, one more thought. I shoot side by side shotguns (all with double triggers) shooting clays or live birds. When shooting clays, I place my hand over the breech afterward. With live birds, I let the empties fly. Another reason that I have, for the most part, attempted to keep the fifles/shotguns the same.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Don me too! Have had a SXS double in my hands all my life. Used extractor guns until maybe 10 years ago. I usually let the first two fly now but its really hard after the first two not the catch the next ones. On my Australia hunt Paul Truccolo said I was almost too late closing the action on one of my bulls. He said he was just about ready to shoot and then held his fire because he knew I was loaded. I had caught that brass and it took just a little more time to get loaded. I am trying hard to break that habit of catching the brass. You will do it and not even know you have done it. Many times I've gone back to where I shot from to look for brass later only to find it in my pocket.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Ejectors.

Just bring Michael458 with a butterfly net along and he'll take care of catching the brass. hilbily

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I have doubles with both.
I don't know how to work this one out:
Ejectors when I hunt.
Extractors when at the range.
What's a poor old fella to do?
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I have doubles with both.
I don't know how to work this one out:
Ejectors when I hunt.
Extractors when at the range.
What's a poor old fella to do?
Cheers,
Cal

WEll Cal..

One barrel has ejectors..
the second barrel has extractors..

J. Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Was just asking myself this very question. Thought there would be fewer ejector fans. Of course, I will never hunt lion ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of having a selector switch.

Right now the only double I have has extractors.

DRSS

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted quite a bit with extractor and ejector doubles, both in North America and in Africa, including DG such as lion, cape buff and elephants.

If I was buying a new made double I would get ejectors.

However IF I found a vintage British double I liked I would not hesitate to get it if it was an extractor only gun.

In fact I have used both extractor and ejector guns on the same Safaris with no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ejectors. If the double is for serious dangerous game hunting. Otherwise a reliable Mauser/ Win 70.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like ejectors but I should have extractors because I still have a BAD habit of catching the brass as I eject them. Oh yes I want my brass and will bend over to pick them up off the ground during a hunt. BAD HABIT!!!! Sam

Sam,with ejectors in the field, you can simply turn the rifle slightly side ways so when the brass is kicked out they hit you in the belly, and will drop at your feet, not out in the weeds. This way they make less noise, and allows you to keep your eyes on the target making sure it isn't on the way to kick your butt.

The noise the brass makes, when ejected, is a metallic "PINGING" sound that is as foreign as a train whistle to an elephant, and is exacerbated by flying through the open air. In tight bush it is the Askaris you’re avoiding broadcasting your position to! I don’t think it makes a lot of difference when hunting buffalo.

Like Tony I have doubles with both types and don’t seem to have a problem with either. The ejectors are slightly faster to re-load but not by much in my experience. Where the ammo is carried in relation to the chambers is more important than extractor/ejector in regard to a fast re=load. Still if I hunted a lot of elephant, I would prefer extractors, or better yet the selector switch on the Heyms.
..................................................................... BOOM............ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote