Find
Notify
Tools

Flip Up Night Sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I just bought a new Chapuis .375 Flanged. It has a flip up night sight that's kinda cool. I was just wondering, has anyone ever actually used their flip up night sight while hunting?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once, on one gun as it was extremely dull
and I hadn't polished / filed the front sight
like I normally do so it wasn't reflecting the
light well enough.

Yes, I would use them again if it was installed
and needed but one thing is I think they are a bit too large.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I have Dave. Muck quicker target acquisition for me particular with less than optimal light conditions.

I'll take the insignificant decrease in precision for the faster on-target time under such circumstances. tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
In thick jess, yes!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep....I used mine to kill a young whitetail buck the third day after I recieved my double. It was almost dark that evening, the deer looked like a black silouette and I could barely make out his antlers. The night sight showed up perfectly against his dark body. The range was about 30 yards...he dropped on the spot.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used mine on a late evening elephant. My night vision is not up to par so it came in handy.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had fiber optic front sights put on all my double rifles and rifles with iron sights.
At 52, I can no longer see anything else consistently.

I missed a nice black bear with a DR 2 years ago because the sun was in my face and I couldn't find the front sight. I will try my best not to let that happen again.

On the past 6 double rifles I've sold to customers, I've had the Recknagel fiber optic front sight installed before they got them, and all of them said that anyone is crazy for not doing the same.

I say this right after I slammed the beavertail for not being along the traditional lines. Yet, I see the two issues as completely polarized.

The fiber-optic sight assists us when we need it. The beavertail serves no real purpose and only detracts from nostalgia and value.

I also include the original brass front sight for those who want to get rid of the fiber-optic, but no one has done so yet.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote