THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Visiting Verney Carron factory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Verney Carron factory
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Due to certain cirumstances made me decide to visit Verney Carron factory in Saint Etienne in France. Double rifle is ordered, deposit paid and in about 10-12 months the rifle will be finished.

Going to the factory was a " mistake " Wink It is like putting a small kid in a toy store... You understand the rest Whistling Jerome showed me around, we did some test shooting, we measured and discussed. The issues about splinter or semi beaver, long or short barrel, engraving and not kept going on before, under and after lunch.

Here are a few photo details from the visit:

I endend up with an upgrade in wood. The raw plank gives you some indication, but I am excited to see the rifle finished with it.

Next there was a discussion about splinter or beaver. I must say that I agree with Jerome that from a hunting standpoint I felt much better holding a rifle with beaver than splinter. I know there is a lot of discussion and meanings about this. Then Jerome showed me a shorter and slimmer version of the beaver. That I think gave the right proporsion to the rifle - a combined splinter-beaver - good to hold and English looks ! Cool

The short slim beaver foreend combined with a 61 cm barrel ( 24 inch ) I found attractive. Next photo show 3 different barrel lenghts - to the left a 66 cm barrel ( 26inch ) with a standard lenght beaver, in the middle a 60 cm barrel ( 23,5 inch ) with a standard lenght beaver and to the right a 61 cm barrel ( 24 inch ) with a short beaver. I ordered the 24 inch with the short beaver as said. I think that this combination gives somewhat of the English looks that I was looking for. Time will show...

Other main specifications are round body, color hardening case in caliber 450 NE and slim pistol grip without too much palmswell due to small hands. ( advice from Mike Jines - Jerome agreed )

Waiting time can be hard... Smiler

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Morten, is the 450 available on a smaller frame than the 500?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I recall Jerome mentioned something about it, but he preferred to use the standard frame for 450, 470 and 500.

I can check again if you want ?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Morten: Congratulations on your future rifle. I too ordered my VC in 450NE with CCH finish. I did nowever opt for longer barrels (I wanted 26" but Ken and Jerome wanted 24" so we compromised at 25"). About the only thing I wished I had done differently is a wood upgrade and some gold inletting on the engraving. Other than that, I cold not be more pleased with mine and I am sure you will be pleased with yours. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jorge. Just remember it is your " fault " that I chose 450 NE. I started a thread in the very beginning of my life here at AR last summer about recoil etc and you recommended 450. Your argument was the mix of recoil and power + penetration. I will hunt and the PH will do the stopping ! However, if I put the bullets correctly that will stop too !

I shot 450, 470 and 500 with Jerome. I did not like the 470 and I am not able to obtain license for 500 - then it is 450. I also enjoyed shooting that caliber more than the others, but 500 is not bad either.

In addition the 450 has a long tradition and looks very traditional like the 500. I am looking forward to this with great pleasure Smiler

Morten

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You made a good choice in both rifle and caliber.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much obliged sir !

Forgot to say that it will be mounted a Doctor Optic red dot sight in German Recknagel detachable mounts on the rifle and the rifle will be regulated with this from the factory.

M

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
When I ordered mine, I pored over the writings of Taylor, Boddington, Wright, even asked Ivan Carter. Without exception, they all recommended the 450NE. I think you made the right choice too!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Morten, I'll echo the others about your choice! The 450 is my favorite round. I have a Searcy not a VC though.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle in a clasic caliber. Well done. Can't wait to see it when done.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
Great rifle in a clasic caliber. Well done. Can't wait to see it when done.

100% Agreement ! clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The VC guys are great to deal with, you will enjoy it !! Welcome to the family!!

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Congrats Morten. They'll build you a fine rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Todd. You have helped me and been very patient with all my questions. I really appreciate that.

You also take it as man all the beating with the fat ladies and scooter shooting Blaser Wink Big Grin Makes me laugh loudly when the guys tease .. Mike J and Biebs and the others. Fun stuff animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Congratulations! The VC guys are great to deal with, you will enjoy it !! Welcome to the family!!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick. One thing, I forgot to discuss colour on recoil pad with Jerome. Have you decided for yours ?

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morton,
I wanted the red pachmayer as per my 500 , but they don't make it in the width required for the 600 stock, it comes in black or brown, so brown it was.
I do prefer the red though. Todd's leather pad looks pretty good also, I hope to see an example at the VC stand in Vegas in a few weeks time.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Thanks a lot Todd. You have helped me and been very patient with all my questions. I really appreciate that.

You also take it as man all the beating with the fat ladies and scooter shooting Blaser Wink Big Grin Makes me laugh loudly when the guys tease .. Mike J and Biebs and the others. Fun stuff animal

No problem Morten. I hope I was able to help you some.

Yep, those boys are as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys! Come to think of it, that's exactly what they are! Jines, Justin Bieber, and the other TURDS!

Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

Very good choice in make!

I was looking at the first picture in this thread and I have a question! Am I looking at two unfinished double rifles with octagon barrels! If so, that is something new with VC doubles!
......................................................................... Confused tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mac - you are looking at two unfinished double rifles with octagon barrels !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Morton,
I wanted the red pachmayer as per my 500 , but they don't make it in the width required for the 600 stock, it comes in black or brown, so brown it was.
I do prefer the red though. Todd's leather pad looks pretty good also, I hope to see an example at the VC stand in Vegas in a few weeks time.

Cheers

Nick

You probably will see some leather pad in Vegas. I also like the red Pachmayer Old English, but have to see the finished color of my wood before deciding.

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

No problem Morten. I hope I was able to help you some.

Yep, those boys are as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys! Come to think of it, that's exactly what they are! Jines, Justin Bieber, and the other TURDS!

Big Grin

jumping

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Great Morten, now you need an elephant for your double...

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-A Åhlén:
Great Morten, now you need an elephant for your double...

Hi P-A, Yes I do. Do you have any one cheap elehunt in Sweden ?? Wink Short distance and could be done in a weekend Big Grin

Well - Jerome said 12 months so I still have some time ..

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Sorry Morten, we killed out the mamouths 10 000 years ago. I think you as the rest of us is left with the only choice of Africa...

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see that you were at the factory to spec out your double and got to do some shooting. Looking forward to see how the wood turns out.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

First photo of my 450NE project from Verney Carron factory. Not the clearest photo, but gives you an impression. Have asked for the right side photo as well, but the stock is in the oiling process. Excited to see the other side Smiler

Round body with a slightly more open grip without palmswell. Color case hardening will take place later this year in London !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morton

Looking great so far! The more open/slim pistol grip looks interesting , like to see it checkered.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ser veldig bra ut!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and photos. If I ever visit the V-C factory, I will have to leave my check book and credit cards back in the States - I know my limitations! My V-C 450 should be arrving soon as well - once the export paperwork completes, Jerome will be shipping it to Ken.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nickh: The checkering is going to be similar to the VC Todd showed from the Dallas show. Look at his report from the VC boot. I have asked for a lighter color tough, not so dark-red-brown as showed in the picture Todd presented. I will put up pictures as soon as I get any from Jerome, but it might take some time.

Norsk: takk skal du ha ( thanks a lot ) - blir spennende å se forstsettelse ( I am excited about seeing the rest )

Rusty: thanks a lot !

Subsailor74: Congratulations - I hope you share some pictures here on AR when it is ready Smiler