THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Crimping cartridges for double rifle use
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping cartridges for double rifle use
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

I am about to embark on reloading my first 470 Nitro cartridges. In light of the fact that this is not a magazine cartridge; is it necessary to crimp the shells? Do you see any type of movement in the bullet of the non fired shells after the first has been fired?

A second question; Do most of you use necking dies in lieu of full length dies for sizing? I only have one gun for this cartridge.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I always full legnth size the smallest amount possible. Never seen a neck die in 470. I do a slight crimp in the cannelure. With some of the testing I have done it appears that I am able to keep the SD down a little more than if not crimped.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never do. With the large bore flanged nitros, just make sure your expander isn't oversize. If it's the one that came with the dies, it will be. I just remove and toss.

Whether you crimp or not, test when working up. Mark one cartridge and rotate it to the off barrel for 10 shots. If the bullet moves, reduce expander ball some more. Crimping won't cure it. popcorn
------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't try to do anything other than just load to my normal specs which is to crimp everything. I full length resize as that's what the dies are and try each round in each barrel. Just load to factory specs more or less using Rl-15 and dacron filler and have never had any problems. I use RCBS dies and they came with crimp.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use very little crimp or none at all!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I crimp...lightly...in the groove.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
After a problem caused by not crimping on my first trip to Namibia, I now, at least lightly crimp everything. I never heard of anyone necksizing a nitro express cartridge.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi EZ:

Yepper going with the boys. Full size, and light crimp, always works.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will concur those the other guys. I load and lightly crimp jacketed bullets in my .500 NE. You should try cast bullets for your .470. They are MUCH cheaper with lots less recoil and a real pleasure to shoot.

Welcome to big bores. Have fun!!!

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote