New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Doubler is Better
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a Merkel sidelock double that is mint or a Heym PH for equal money. I was told the Merkel stickered for $25K but finding pricing info on Merkel sidelocks has been difficult for me. If you were in my shoes, which would get the nod assuming that both stocks fit?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of a Merkel SIDELOCK. Which is not to say they never made one, but as a Merkel collector I'm very interested in this....Let me know if you pass on it and where I can contact the seller...

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops! I'd better make myself clear: I've never heard of a Merkel SIDELOCK SxS....I've seen plenty of their 303 / 203 OUs, but never a SxS.

Is the rifle you're looking at an SxS?

JW

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
I have never heard of a Merkel SIDELOCK. Which is not to say they never made one, but as a Merkel collector I'm very interested in this....Let me know if you pass on it and where I can contact the seller...

JW

The Model 160A is a self cocking, Holland &Holland style sidelock. Greener crossbolt with double under barrel locking lugs. Double trigger with the option to have the front trigger as a set trigger. Automatic tang-mounted sliding safety. Case ejection through split cartridge slide or Holland & Holland ejector for rimless cartridges with extractor claw. Ejectors available at extra cost. Barrel Length 600mm (23.6") and weight approximately 3.5kg (7.7lb). Classic English-style pistol-grip oil-finished walnut stock (Hogsback available on request). Receiver is colour case hardened and hand engraved in Arabesque pattern with higher grades of engraving of African game animals available at extra cost.
Available in .375H&H Magnum, .416 Rigby,.470NE and .500NE.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:
It is a SXS model 160. I already have another model 160 in 9.3x74. It has markings on it "1 of 5" and has a S&B Zenith scope mounted with "1 of 5" on a scope cap. It is case colored. Do you know anything about the gun marked 1 of 5 by Merkel?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
What a gun!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get the Heym. No flies on the Merkel, but the Heym is the best of the new made Doubles at an affordable price IMHO.

I woulde recommend a 450/400 3".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Im pretty sure the side lock Merkel's retail price is often more than the PH. So I would look into this and naturally I would see which of the two felt better.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have an opportunity to buy a Merkel sidelock double that is mint or a Heym PH for equal money. I was told the Merkel stickered for $25K but finding pricing info on Merkel sidelocks has been difficult for me. If you were in my shoes, which would get the nod assuming that both stocks fit?

If it's like this:
http://emporium.gsifirearms.co...t.asp?product_id=114

Buy it, even as much as I like the Heym PH.

(Heck, you could resell it if you buy it between $14 & 18 K )

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye:
It is much less ornate. It has animal engravings which are typical of the Germans. Everything starts out as a pig and adjustments are made from there.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
It has animal engravings which are typical of the Germans. Everything starts out as a pig and adjustments are made from there.

I would say this is typical of poor German engraving.

But not all German engraving looks like that.

Regarding your decision on the sidelock Merkel or a HEYM "PH"... You should get the one you like best, BUT I would suggest you handle both before parting with any cash.

If you want to handle a HEYM, I'll send you one of mine - your only obligation is to send it back. Smiler

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm......any timeframe that I could "handle" it for, Chris? Wink

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Hmmmmmm......any timeframe that I could "handle" it for, Chris? Wink

For as long as you want, Gary. You just have to trade in those "dark side" doubles before I ship one to you!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym, but that's just bc I like Newguy... kidding aside; Heym.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote