Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady .366 DG Solid
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Hornady now has a new DG solid for the 9,3. For reasons that I don't understand, they made it 300 grains rather than the traditional 286 grains. bewildered

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late last summer when the bullet was still in R & D I asked them if a 286gr that would match their soft point in weight wouldn't be more appropriate and all they said was they would pass the idea along. Maybe the designers aren't shooters or at least aren't familiar with the caliber. Nothing wrong with a 300gr 9.3 bullet but it isn't the normal first choice.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Late last summer when the bullet was still in R & D I asked them if a 286gr that would match their soft point in weight wouldn't be more appropriate and all they said was they would pass the idea along. Maybe the designers aren't shooters or at least aren't familiar with the caliber. Nothing wrong with a 300gr 9.3 bullet but it isn't the normal first choice.

Most of the 9.3X74R rounds are used in double rifles, and some will worry about regulation. IMO, that is not a worry with only 14 graines of weight difference! Solids and softs generally will need different loads anyway to regulate properly and once the load is found there is no problem. In the 9.3X62 ib a bolt rifle it makes even less of a difference!

I think this is no worries issue! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

In Zim the 9.3 is only legal if it meets the energy requirements.
That usually requires the 9.3x64 load.
The 300 grain when loaded appropriately will allow thw 9.3x62 to meet the Joule requirements for DG in Zim.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so there trying to make smaller less powerful chambering do what so many other better selections can do.

375 h&H,416 rem,458,lott ect so many more usfull chamberings and these guys wanna squeeze a small case and try and make it perform to a higher standard of power when we already have it. i mean shit if your going to africa im shure you can afford a gun in a proper chambering that can and dose meet the energy requirments with out "speical" loads.if you cant maybe you need to work more hours or get another job befor going on that trip. you can never have to much gun when hunting dg

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
so there trying to make smaller less powerful chambering do what so many other better selections can do.

375 h&H,416 rem,458,lott ect so many more usfull chamberings and these guys wanna squeeze a small case and try and make it perform to a higher standard of power when we already have it. i mean shit if your going to africa im shure you can afford a gun in a proper chambering that can and dose meet the energy requirments with out "speical" loads.if you cant maybe you need to work more hours or get another job befor going on that trip. you can never have to much gun when hunting dg

Admittedly the 9.3X74R and 9.3X62 cartridges are not 458LOTTs but make not mistake they are not as puny as you seem to think!
I’ll be the first to agree that too many folks tend to follow Bells 7x57mm on things like elephant. However, there is nothing wrong with trying to improve any cartridge to better handle the game it is legal to be used on!

The use of cartridges that some may consider too small and not well suited for things like Cape buffalo, or the cats, though legal for that use, is no different than those who choose to use rifles that others consider beyond need for the same game also legal but not needed, like 600NE and 700NE. Personally I see no NEED for anything above the 500NE, but that is only for me!

If I had to hunt all dangerous game in Africa or any other place with only one rifle it would be a 10.5 or 11 pound double rifle chambered for 500NE, but again that is just me, but I’m not worried about taking on Buffalo or lion with a 9.3X74R double rifle!

What I’m saying here is, Use what you want as long as it is legal for the use you put it to. If it is on the light side why not try to improve it if you can?

If it is on the over 500NE side then use it if you are willing to put up with the recoil, and carrying a 16 pound rifle, then that is your business, and your shoulder.

In the final analysis, I would say the 9.3X74R in an eight and a half pound double rifle will be far easier to place shots after a long trek in the heat than say a 577NE that weighs in at 12 or 13 pounds, and the second shot from the 9.3 will be not only quicker, but better placed as well, and the use of a little heavier bullet will be a plus as well, without detaching your retinas!

................................................................................... BOOM........................ holycow

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
i guess but ill stick with my 577 nitro a 12 pound rifle is nothing heck my normaly deer rifle is 14 pounds(338 laupa)but your right every 1 has differnt recoil and weight tolerances

i eat sleep and breath body building so im a tad bit bigger and better shape than most people. weight and recoil do not affect me like most i guess

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
i guess but ill stick with my 577 nitro a 12 pound rifle is nothing heck my normaly deer rifle is 14 pounds(338 laupa)but your right every 1 has differnt recoil and weight tolerances

i eat sleep and breath body building so im a tad bit bigger and better shape than most people. weight and recoil do not affect me like most i guess

700 I have to yeald to you on being in shape! that is a good thing to do, but at 75 years old and no longer working I could be in better shape. However the good shape does help in carrying a heavy rifle, but you are mistaken on the effect of recoil being less on a person that is bigger and heavier than on a lighter person. A heavy person absorbs far more of the recoil than a lighter person who tends to roll with the recoil. I weight 228 pounds and I feel recoil a lot more than I did when I weighed 160 pounds.

That being said my meaning was the there is nothing wrong with doing what ever a person can to make the riflke he chooses to use, more effective! IOW, we are only discussing the range of rifles that are legal for the big five and Brown bear. There is a minimum and a max that can be used legally on one end, and maxum the human body can take on the other end, and there is a mid range that is probably the best and safest to choose from all things considered. I have no problem with the minimum for those who shoot well under pressure, or the max as long as that person can shoot them well enough to use multiple follow-up shots well.
As you say a man must reccognize his limitations! I shoot a 470NE most but would rather have a 500NE. I've owned three 577NE double rifles and I simply find they didn't kill any better than my 500/450NE,or 470NE or the 500NE. However all are good, and none are useless from bottom to top. I would say here that IMO no more than 5% of the 600NEs and even less 700NEs ever see anything more dangerous than a paper target of a water jug, and are most often never carried farther than from the car to the fireing line at the local range!''

................................ Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
true most 700 ne never see actual hunt mine did took my very first african animal with a 700 ne the african elephant the second african game animal i shot was a grey duiker with a 500 ne i dont roll much recoil rather i just soak it up my upper body dosnt move very much under recoi im shure a few here remember me when i was much much younger at the camp cooley drss i doubled a 577 ne rifle that was actuly really fun it was a blast to say the least .... every 1 just looked at me like .....did that just happen... thats what happens when you dig around in a water cooler then fire the front trigger on a 577 right handed rifle (im left handed so the length of pull was also a bit longer than normal i faned both trigger so fast they both went off at the same time it was a rush

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

Though my deer rifles don't weigh nearly as much Wink

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the 300 is close enough in most double rifles to shoot pretty close to regulation..if not then shoot a GS Customs flat nose solid...

I shoot the the 320s in my 9.3x62 with a needed long barrel and they are accurate and get right up mighty close to 2400 FPS with RL-15 and H414 and thats a buffalo killer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote