THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Buying a New Double Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a New Double Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Say you had around $13,000 to $14,000 to spend on a .470NE or .500NE Double.

What Would YOU get and Why?

I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing match on why my double is better than yours. I am considering a few options were the above might be possible, and wanted to know what you would get. I want to spend the WHOLE amount of Money on a Double, there is a bit more for trophy fees. Wink

What would you get?

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My question to you would be how much you want to shoot the rifle? Are you going to just use it for African DG or do you plan to hunt with it as much as you can?

Since this is your money Big Grin I would buy the 470. The 500 just beats me up too badly. The increase in recoil with the 500 is significant, in my opine.

I'd buy a Heym or a Searcy. Unless you want one made for you I'd find a used one and spend the rest of your money on reloading and safaris.

If it were my money I'd buy a Heym or Searcy 450/400 and really enjoy shooting my rifle. Ammo is cheaper, and recoil doesn't beat you up. Once again just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I agree with RUSTY on this. ( I am a newbie double owner but I have coveted them for about 12 years) I have yet to see a Searcy that wasn't put together well and shot well.

I used to live in CA not far from Butch's place. The only reason I don't have one is the $$$$$

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Since this is your money Big Grin I would buy the 470. The 500 just beats me up too badly. The increase in recoil with the 500 is significant, in my opine.

I think Rusty is right about this part. I have shot a couple of .500s (a Heym and a Merkel) and maybe it was just me but I thought it was a punishing gun to shoot, a bunch more recoil than a .470, but then again it hits with a lot more authority so you kinda have to pick your poison.

As far as doubles go, don't overlook a Krieghoff. I think you get a lot of gun for your money with a K-gun and, IMO they are much more gun than a Merkel and every bit the gun as a Heym but significantly cheaper than the latter.

If you have your heart set on a .470 or a .500, I say go for it. However, I will tell you that a .500/.416 is one hell of a good choice also. It hits with a lot of thump and won't knock you out from under your hat. thumb

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be elephant hunting on a more than one time basis, stick with the 470 or 500, or even better a 450NE 3 1/4".

I think I would have to go with the Hyem with a Searcy Classic second choice in your price range. Second hand is you can find one that fits, or can be made to fit with modest modifications, like a new pad for a different LOP...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a new made double:

Heym 450/400 3".

If I was going to shoot a LOT of elephants I would get a Heym 450 3 1/4".

I prefer the 458 bore over a 470.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of butch's guns and they are good solid rifles, I'd look hard at his field grade for under 10K. Then you could put 3-5K toward that elephant or buffalo.

I like the heym but they are a solid 6K more than the field grade, and for 16-20K I'd give Luxus a call and ask about one of there FAMARS doubles. They are 20K+ but a FAMARS are another step up!

I agree with JPK-- Look hard at the 450 it is a great round. I went with a 450/400 3", but one of these days might get back into a 500 or a 577. I want to shoot more, and a 450/400 makes you want to shoot more not take a break!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ed:

From time of order to time of delivery, how long does it take to get a Searcy?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Searcy quoted ~9 months to me over the phone last week for a Classic (down from a high of a year and a half before the economy soured). Cheers, Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty makes some very good points. Since I already have a Merkel 500NE, and would only use it primarily for ele and an occasional bufflo, I would upgrade to the Heym in 500NE (not the sissy man 470) Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
For your money, I would order a Heym PH from newguy and not look back. By the way, I would order it with color case hardening based on his recent post. I have a Heym 450/400 3" and can't say enough good things about it. Good luck. Brian

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 126 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Dave,

About 1 yr is what I'd count on.

Heym's are great guns I just cant get over the cocking indcators on top and the metal runing back behind the fences. Just a looks thing for me. I do like the color case that new guy posted the other day.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago a local shop had a double I really wanted. It sat there forever because of the then seemingly high price tag. I wanted that gun so bad and spent so much time looking at it that they started joking about needing to charge me a handling fee.

It was an older Westley Richards 450/.400. It wasn't the glossy new gun finish and even had a worn looking sling on it. The gun was really sound and not dinged up at all, but at the same time had this look as if someone just came in off an elephant hunt with it.

$6,000.

Wonder what it'd be today...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would see if the Heym 500/416 that was in the classifieds by Charles Prince was still available. Great gun for a great price.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
In a new made double:

Heym 450/400 3".

If I was going to shoot a LOT of elephants I would get a Heym 450 3 1/4".

I refer the 458 bore over a 470.

Great choices, though I still miss my 500 K gun, it is generally not needed as the client,more as the PH.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
A new gun would be a Heym hands down.. If you want to have fun and have 4K energy per barrel the 450/ 400 3 inch... Want a boomer get a
450 3 1/4 inch which is a 5K energy and will give verg good penetration and crunch up close.. For toying around there a ton of 458 bullets to choose from to play with and casings are relatively cheap to purchase... With ejectors it will be postively a superb double...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
You should buy my Merkel .500 for $ 8,500 and use the rest of the money on trophy fees. Big Grin

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to spend the WHOLE amount of Money on a Double, there is a bit more for trophy fees.

OK, if you insist I'll take $ 13k for it.

At that price I'll personally deliver it FTF anywhere in the US.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
First Heym, second Krieghoff, third Searcy, fourth Chapuis, fifth Blaser for new guns.

Any good quality other double rifle you can get for the same kind of money.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote