THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Air Space In 450 NE Regulation Load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Space In 450 NE Regulation Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ive hit a bit of an issue loading My 450 NE

Regulation load 96 grns IMR 4831 under 480 grn soft.
The first time I took this load out it shot one raged hole at 50 yards.

The second time it shot the left barrel slightly to the left of the bull dead centre, but the right barrel was shooting 4" low and 5" to the left of centre (crossing.

This could have been me as it was snowing (lose focus) and I am still perfecting my hold but it was way off.

One thing I noticed was about a 1/6 of air space under the bullet, could this lead to inconsistency?

Does anyone use fillers with this load?

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use any fillers and I load for the same caliber and use IMR 4831. Interesting as your regulation load is about 4 grains higher than mine.

Did you happen to get a new lot of powder? Crossing usually means the bullet is going to fast.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope same powder lot, got the load data with the rifle.

Im going to chrono the loads tomorrow, hopefully.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I use IMR4831 when I load for my 450/400,I find this powder pretty temperature sensitive,my groups open up as the temp goes down,where as, I do not notice this as much with H4831.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
In my shooting of doubles, my problem is shooter error. The rifle(s) are consistent and accurate as is my charge of powder. One good target and the other is not so good leads me to believe I am at fault.
Drink a Coke before I shoot or think of Lady GaGa or Janet Reno during shooting (both are hot) and my targets will suffer.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill thanks, it was -2c that day.

Thanks Cal, sometimes maybe one should not over think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal:
You be one sick puppy...Janet Reno? As in "I took a big Janet Reno this morning after breakfast"? Now, if you had said "Nancy Pelosi" then I would agree, one hot momma! rotflmo

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a thought that will make you boys gag; somewhere there is a Mr. Pelosi...

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meat curtains.
Naugahyde meat curtains.

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
In my shooting of doubles, my problem is shooter error. The rifle(s) are consistent and accurate as is my charge of powder. One good target and the other is not so good leads me to believe I am at fault.
Drink a Coke before I shoot or think of Lady GaGa or Janet Reno during shooting (both are hot) and my targets will suffer.
Cal

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Here's a thought that will make you boys gag; somewhere there is a Mr. Pelosi...

Oh you are mean.. shocker

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I use IMR4831 when I load for my 450/400,I find this powder pretty temperature sensitive,my groups open up as the temp goes down,where as, I do not notice this as much with H4831.

+1
I have noticed the same thing with my 450/400 and my 470NE. Groups open up considerably if the ammo is cold.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt temperature has any effect on group size.You probably have too much copper fouling in your bores-the bad type of copper fouling.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
OP

I have had good results with 80%> load density.
I use magnum primers.
I doubt your load is at fault.
When I get bad or inconsistent results I usually chalk it up to bad shooting for whatever reason.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

I doubt temperature has any effect on group size.You probably have too much copper fouling in your bores-the bad type of copper fouling.

In my case,there was no copper fouling at all. I always remove every trace of copper fouling after shooting my doubles. When this phenomenon first happened to me, I discussed it with Butch Searcy. Butch told me having cold ammo - in my case stored in a detached garage in the winter with temps down to 10 deg F - affects the burn rate of IMR 4831. Hence, the velocities I was getting were lower than those for which he regulated the rifles. I have played around with this a few times, and every time I shoot cold ammo in my doubles, my groups spread out.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Severe copper fouling is very hard to remove.I dont know how you check to see if it is all gone.You will never get it out without JB-patch and brush to start off with.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Severe copper fouling is very hard to remove.I dont know how you check to see if it is all gone.You will never get it out without JB-patch and brush to start off with.

Well, I disagree. I use Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam (BCF), and while the process may take several applications over a few hours, it gets every speck of copper out of my bores. I check my bores with a high intensity flashlight and a borescope to ensure all the copper is out. I used JB paste years ago, but I think there are now much better products on the market for removing copper. BCF is my favorite with Wipe Out / Patch out being second.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried wipe-out-several applications of it and it did not get the copper out.This could be however because of the coating of light oil I think I forgot to remove prior to applying.The second time I used it I made sure there was no oil and it worked but copper fouling was very light prior.I find it strange however that you are instructed to not remove the copper and all the so called experts here are also saying this and you chose to remove it before shooting.In any case my testing showed that the crossing and larger groups was caused by copper fouling since temperature was the same during both days.Very cold temperatures cold have an effect on POI but I think this could be caused by the lack of natural lubrification in the barrel steel and bullet but that would be in extremely cold temperatures not those you would see in your area.The way a diesel engine or any other engine has problems starting on extremely cold temps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

+1
I have noticed the same thing with my 450/400 and my 470NE. Groups open up considerably if the ammo is cold.

I guess I'm going to have to come up with a different powder (load) for hunting up here

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

+1

I guess I'm going to have to come up with a different powder (load) for hunting up here

Hornady loads their 450/400 ammo with H4831sc,I have shot this ammo & some handloads with H4831sc in cooler weather,this powder was much more consistent than I4831,I did not see my groups change by much,this powder is not as sensitive to temperatures.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a discussion on IMR4831 and temp sensitivity.
IMR4831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a discussion on IMR4831 and temp sensitivity.
IMR4831

Thanks George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today, put my re loads on the dash to get warmed by the defrost.

Temp -1c (bullets kept warm near my body)
480 grn Woodleigh
96 grn IMR 4831
50 yards
6 o'clock hold

I noticed shooting my light loads at the end of the range session that I have a tendency to cant the rile, im going to work on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is some good shooting and shows that your rifle is ready and in super operating order.If it was me I would clean it and put it aside for Africa.I would practice with other less recoiling rifles in the mean time shoot big bore bolt action from time to time-offhand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a great way to get all the copper fouling out of my rifle barrel. I have a cleaning rod I chuck in my cordless drill. With good stainless brush I can get all the fouling out is about ten minuets running full speed. If it is being stubborn I wrap 00 steel wool around the brush. Works every time.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote