New
Find
Notify
Tools

safari soft cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a soft case for safari to fit my heym double. Who makes the best case that is transportable in a duffle bag as the hard case will be one of my own 12 guage air craft aluminum cases, custom fit for a break down gun, bore cleaning and sling transport. Is a soft leather case a better option than a canvas or cordura exterior case?

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Bud Shaul or Robert Cohrane for a leg-o-mutton case. Top shelf work.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com...d=453&categoryid=112

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zigfreed:
Is a soft leather case a better option than a canvas or cordura exterior case?

A leather case is not a good option IMO. Three reasons why the canvas or cordura case is better.

1. You can fold it up, it's much more compact and fits into luggage easier.
2. The Canvas or Cordura case w/DR rifle will fit into most PH's gun racks on the truck.
3. If case gets wet the canvas or cordura case will dry quickly.

I believe Red OX makes the best lined canvas case on the market check out their web site.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Boyt case for years in my tuff-pak, and am happy with it. One side benefit, is as it is a shotgun case, it has a pocket for choke tubes. This is useful for an extra front sight, snap caps, a bore snake, whatever.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Traveling with a soft case is such a pita, primarily because of the bulk of a two reasonably padded cases, that I ask the PH to provide suitable soft cases for my rifles for the duration of the hunt.

This has worked well, though I do bring a gun sock just in case.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I personally own a Dick Murray case and one of Bud Shaul's.

Both are great cases, but I grew a little tired of the one-size-fits-all approach, and I decided to have cases made specifically for the HEYM doubles, shape, length, branding, etc...

Jim Wear makes these for us (he's the guy that makes Peter Hoffer's leather and oak & leather cases.)

So we're now offering these.

It's not going to fit well in a duffle, but they work nicely in a tuff-pak.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I call service. Have cases made to fit the Double Rifles you carry. Good on you!

I'm hauling both DRs to SA in April and my Aluminum case, TNB Industries "Strong Case" has been Rhino Liner coated. It's big enough to put both rifles into soft padded cases and still fit.
I believe that is the way to go. Your PH may, or may not have good soft cases to protect your rifle's finish. An honest battle scar or two is okay, but beat up in a safari car rack is not.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I like the soft side cases as I can fold them over to put in my checked bags or to use them to put the bolt actions and doubles in them for their ride the Tuff Pak. In any event, you want something reasonably padded as you will be using it in the back of the Bakkie as well. There are a butt load of possibilities at most online gun/firearms websites. I tend to get mine from Midsouth Shooters Supply as they carry good quality cases at great prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a soft case that will hold your double broken down and you do not want to spend an arm and a leg try a Boyts.
I used one for my Chapuis for a couple of years now and could not be happier. Light and durable. My Chapuis has bounced around in a box on my ATV in the Boyts for many rough miles down the trail. Bought a silicone gun sock and cut it in half and slip the Chapuis into the sock, then into the case.
All those nice white fluffy fleece padded cases are nice but they sure can hold in the moisture.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, what fits in light plane is best.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote