THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chronograph Searcy .450/.400 3" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Searcy .450/.400 3" ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I don't have access to a chronograph. I'm shooting my Searcy Classic with Butch's regulation loads (400 grain Woodleigh softs and 82 grains of IMR-4831 long cut and Fed. 215 primers). They regulate perfectly with Woodleigh solids with 1/2 grain less powder. In fact, to day, I shot a right and left at 100 meters into 1.5" (with a 2.5 Leupold scope... I can't see irons that well, but I did get one ragged hole at 25 yards).

Butch's loads are usually pretty fast. Any idea what the MV should be with the 26" barrel?
Frank, have you chronographed yours?

Ernest (els), the loads you sent me seemed to hold 80 grains of IMR-4831 and printed 3" apart and 3" low, so I assume they were somewhat slower?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I have had mine out to the range twice with the chronograph. All rounds were Butch's regulation load. First trip, I got 2270 fps average. Second trip, I got 2178 fps average. I did not record the weather so I cannot say whether the velocity disparity was weather related.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't chronographed any loads yet; I'll try to do that in the next couple of weeks. I'm camping a lot this month, and haven't shot much.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I had backed down a little on that load. With my rifle at 82 grains velocity was consistently 2200 + . That is not very much less than real 416 Rigby velocities. you are going to be very happy with you new rifle... I impressed the hell out of my P.H. and surprised the hell out of me and a Baboon at about 150 yards. He was sitting on some rocks looking at us. I asked if I could have go at him and Clinton said sure and set up the sticks. To make a short story long. A 400 grain woodleigh doesn't do a baboon a whole lot of good. Big Grin

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the load that I have used in all my 450-400 3" guns.. and it ran out at 2150 FPS give or take 25 FPS in all my guns. It is a good safe load in any 60 cordite gun, and I didn't have any problems with it in my 55 cordite gun. I have had two Jefferys, an Army Navy and a Searcy..I will soon have another searcy in the classic and that will be my last hunting double.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three sets of four shots, three different loads, 2 lefts and 2 rights for each load, all fired at the same target, all same bullet weight:

LL..........RR : too slow: high and diverged

.....LLRR..... : just right: bullseye

RR..........LL : too fast: crossed and low

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some nonsense here. Who can find it? Or is someone switching bullet weights and we are talking apples and oranges on the target?

quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I don't have access to a chronograph. I'm shooting my Searcy Classic with Butch's regulation loads (400 grain Woodleigh softs and 82 grains of IMR-4831 long cut and Fed. 215 primers). They regulate perfectly with Woodleigh solids with 1/2 grain less powder. In fact, to day, I shot a right and left at 100 meters into 1.5" (with a 2.5 Leupold scope... I can't see irons that well, but I did get one ragged hole at 25 yards).

Butch's loads are usually pretty fast. Any idea what the MV should be with the 26" barrel?
Frank, have you chronographed yours?

Ernest (els), the loads you sent me seemed to hold 80 grains of IMR-4831 and printed 3" apart and 3" low, so I assume they were somewhat slower?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote