New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sluging a Double
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to slug the barrels of my .470 double. Would someone be kind enough to explain the best way to slug the barrels of a double. Also where to get the (slightly) oversize slugs.

Best regards;
Brett

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take a stab at this and I'm sure I'll catch some flak for it.

I think that any .50 cal muzzle loading slug (or round ball as long as its pure lead) can be used if you beat it to the rough dimensions of the .470. Push it into the bore and then use a pair of stout 5/8" hardwood dowel rods, brace one end up against the bench and push the other in against the slug from the opposite end of the barrel. You might put one rod in a vise and support the barrels at a height level with the vise and then give the opposite rod a whack with a mallet, uopsetting the slug in the bore. Then, remove the dowel from the vise and push the slug from the breach end out of the muzzle. You should be able to mike it for the dimension.

The other method would be to buy some cerrosafe (from Brownells) and follow the directions for casting the bore.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read the discriptions in the gunsmithing section but they all seem to refer to bolt rifles. Is it best to start from the muzzle?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Unlike the other guy that uses oversized dowels I tend to use ones that are undersized to the bore size. They side thru easier. For the 470 a .50 cal muzzel loader slug or ball filed down will be fine to shove thru the tubes

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett

I agree with the method of fully upsetting an undersize slug in the barrel by tapping on rods (wood or copper/brass) from opposing ends.

I do not subscribe to the "all the way though" school either. Far too great of a chance to severely mangle the slug beyond accurate measurements. I've been sent some to measure that were so badly done that there was hardly two points on the slug that would meassure in agreement. For bolt guns I usually just do one ~6" from the muzzle. After the upset (FULLY UPSET), drive it out the muzzle. If you want perfection, do it again 6" from the breech and drive it out the breech end. Sometimes the two do vary. If you are worried about stressing the muzzles of a double, then just do the breech end. Clean the barrel well and leave a light layer of oil inside, just as you would for storage. Roll the slug on a case lube pad to lube it very lightly; otherwise you may scrap off lead while driving it out and ruin the measurement of the slug.

Mike

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
Agree with most of the above, but the 'two dowels' method is an unnecessary complication. I just bash a fishing sinker to approximate 10% oversize dimensions with a hammer, then drop it into the chamber throat and drive it into the oiled bore with a dowel. I like to push them right through, but with the likes of the Martini Henry with slightly tapered bore, the slug should probably be driven a few inches into the bore and then back out the same way.

Mike, I would respectfully suggest that if pushing the slug all the way through "severely mangles the slug beyond accurate measurements", then simply chuck the bloody rifle away, it's bore is stuffed! Big Grin

Bore slugs from .360 to .577

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
I would like to slug the barrels of my .470 double. Would someone be kind enough to explain the best way to slug the barrels of a double. Also where to get the (slightly) oversize slugs.

Best regards;
Brett

When I slugged my 8X60RS, I took a .36 calibr muzzlleoader ball and shoved it through the bore from the chamber to the muzzle. For a .470, there's no reason why a .490" pure lead muzzleloader ball could't be used. There are commercially available ML balls made of pure lead up to at least .735" in diameter. These could be used to slug any bore of close size up to 12-Ga. at least.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestioins. I think I'll give it a try with pure lead ML balls.

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one never seems to have enough hands when doing this kind of thing.
i hang the barrels by the underlugs in a padded
vice, after a brass rod
has been inserted in the muzzle to about half way into the bbl. then an undersize cylindrical slug is dropped in and upset in the bore with another rod.

this method has given the most accurate results

another method is to use a slightly oversize ball and with a soft hammer pound it partially into the muzzle - enought that it fills the bore
this is the quickest way i've found

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote