Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli .45-70 DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Got a chance to shoot a few this morning. My load was very light, 40 grains of H4895 behind a 405 Cast Bullet. Roughly 1500 fps but I figured I need to start somewhere. Didn't remember H4895 being quite that dirty but at least there was no leading.

I fired 6 shots total, 3 each barrel sequentially. Time in between shots was whatever it took to find the sights, a brass bead front and swallowtail rear, or reload. Distance was 70 yards.

This is a picture of the group. Not great in my opinion but then again I am a newby to DRs and have "old guys" vision. It seems though that the barrels may be fairly well regulated. It was located at point of aim as I was holding at 6 o'clock and a little left. I can straighten that out with a drift once I finalize on a load. I forgot my ruler so I had to improvise. The distance between the two extremes is 3.625" as shown with the vertical being 2.375." The far right one was 2nd shot right barrel and I knew I pulled it but I thought it was going to be farther out. Fortunately it wasn't.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots factory Winchester or Hornandy loads perfectly. Need to play around with handloads.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Is the Hornady the LEVERevolution?

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, doggone it, I have wanted one of those for years. I think you are going to be pleased with it, judging by the initial group.
Do you have a copy of Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle"? It's great for double rifle theory.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have the book and have read it thoroughly cover to cover. As far as I am concerned it is the "bible" for DRs.

Actually, I lucked into two of these. One is a very early model that came with a leather covered luggage style case. Much truer to the old DRs in terms of sights and such. This one is considerably newer and has the 2 adjustable leaves in front of the swallowtail.

Anyway, I think the newer one may just become a .45-120 NE.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
He has not one, but two ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Since joining this forum my appreciation in firearms has shifted. I have discovered I should no longer be embarrassed by my interest in DRs, Drillings, Cape guns, stalking rifles and the like. I no longer hide while reading articles on African hunting.

So yes, I have 2. And 2 drillings and, and, and.

Addiction is a terrible thing but I am trying to self medicate through purchases, handloading and shooting.

dancing rotflmo jumping

Dave