Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Wax?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Someone on the NitroExpress forum indicated that he hunts his double in SE Alaska everyother year and has had good success weatherproofing by treating his double with wax on all external surfaces. Anybody else use wax?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use renaissance wax on all my collectible guns, it works incredibly well and really brings out the blueing. It is what they use at the Springfield Armory Museum to preserve and display their firearms according to their curator.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
When I hunted Seymore Canal area south of you I used Johnson's Paste Wax for cars. Works well if you put several coats on it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I use renaissance wax on all my collectible guns, it works incredibly well and really brings out the blueing. It is what they use at the Springfield Armory Museum to preserve and display their firearms according to their curator.

I think renaissance is the name brand the poster recommended.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Renaissance is great for guns and rifles at home, but a good car wax works better in the field.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they were talking about using a good car wax on the metal parts. Maguires works well.

You also need to think about the internal parts. Unless you have had them gold plated, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a competent double rifle gunsmith use Eezox or Microlon to coat all the internal parts. Both products dry well, and I think Micrilon is considered a dry lubricant as well. Something to keep in mind when below freezing temperatures are a possibility.

You could do it yourself, of course, but personally I would not take the chance on screwing something up.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
One should probably avoid those car waxes with any trace of silicone, if you ever want to use traditional finishes on that gun again sometime in the future.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marrakai:
One should probably avoid those car waxes with any trace of silicone, if you ever want to use traditional finishes on that gun again sometime in the future.

Please explain...

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
silicon is said to sink into the wood a prevent nominal things from being used over it. Got a friend that sprays lemon pledge all over the gun, metal & all - when he trades one in it usually looks better than when he got it. I haven't tried it, but it's an idea

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote