New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing a Double with Stents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never saw this one before but the question came up the other day. Maybe some of you have experience and can comment. assume you know what is meant by Stents which are used to open and keep open clogged arteries. Anyone have any experience in shooting large calibers with Stents. Is this dangerous, risky, etc.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of stents and I shoot 375, 465, 470 and 458 lott. Been doing it for 7 years and I am still here. Doc said, "No problem", when I asked. But check with your Doc first! If he says it's Ok and it's not your wife will have a hell of a malpractice suit.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my brother had one put in a month ago...he started shooting his 50-90 Sharps two weeks later and is doing 24 rounds a day, two days a week getting ready for Quigley in June.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, it is a hell of a lot more dangerous to shoot a big bore rifle WITHOUT stents, if you need them, than to shoot WITH stents in place, if you need them! Eeker

I would assume since they put them in, you needed them! Still you might ask your Doc! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and what about pacemakers / defibrillators ??

any adverse effects ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 7 stents and shoot everything up to my .458 Lott and 450 Ackley pretty regularly. Well it was regular until I took on this new job. Last summer I shot a 500 nitro and no problems. I do have serious effect taking shots of Jack but that was true way before I started have stents put in to replace the arteries that are collapsing.

I say go for it in moderation until you feel comfortable. Check with the doctor and start doing cardio as soon as possible to bild up the strength of your arteries.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
and what about pacemakers / defibrillators ??

any adverse effects ?

I don't think anyone with coronary artery stents has to worry about recoil. Each heartbeat does more to the cardiac muscle than any transmitted recoil from any man-portable rifle fired from the shoulder. Just not an issue. The main issue here with physical trauma would be the easier bruising of someone on aspirin, Plavix, Coumadin. No gray areas here, just a black and blue issue, and something that a good recoil pad can take care of.

However, a good thump on the side of the chest may produce an electrical impulse that could be sensed by a pacemaker/defibrillator ... but this does not seem to be a problem for Dick Cheney. rotflmo

Getting defibrillated every time you fired your 700 Nitro Express would be a bummer. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote