New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you Hyme double rifle onwers what kind of accuracy do you get at 50 and 100 yards. Please specify whether you are using a scope, red dot or just iron sights.

Thanks,
Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Dammit Reddy you have a Holland already...The double rifle life does not get any better Wink

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun...using Woodie Hydros at 50 yds...
470 NE, PH with a Trijicon red dot, 500 gr bullet at 2160 fps yields 2 inch avg R-L groups ctr-ctr.
500 NE, PH with a Trijicon red dot, 570 gr bullet at 2130 fps yields 1.75 inch avg R-L groups ctr-ctr.

These are the best I've developed trying various solids...Hydros, CEBs, Hornady. The individual barrel groups are all tight clusters, but it's the R-L centering that counts.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have never fired or seen a Heym fired that was not as accurate as a double rifle can be regulated. A Searcy is another one that fits in the same description. Get the right load and either one will shoot the pants off of doubles that cost a lot more!

....................................................................No bragg just fact! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several Heyms and find that they are as well regulated as any double in the world. Are they pricey for what you get? Maybe. My favorite is the 88B in .375 at 8.5 lbs. They're just not dressed up very well for the money, but damn they shoot good.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reddy

I too have shot several Heym doubles over the years from the 26B O/U in 30/30 and 9,3x74R,to the SXS's in 9,3x74R, 450/400 3", 450 NE, 470NE, 500NE 577NE and even Ivan Carters personal 600NE.

All of them were very accurate.

I have been to the factory in Germany, and seen them regulating the doubles.

Most of you would not believe me, if I told you how many rounds they fire, on average, in each double, to get the guns properly regulated.

They shoot and regulate, ie heat the solder and move the barrels, until they are right. They have no limit on the number of rounds that are allowed to be fired in any one double.

THEN, after proper regulation is acheived, they hand file the sights to get proper POI/POA.

They will regulate a rifle with a scope or Red Dot as well depending on calibre of course...

They do it RIGHT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had tested many Heym rifles.
I have never an bad one.

The best:
.308 Win., Heym Sniper, 100 Meter unter 2,3 cm, 300 Meter under 2,8 cm.

Some example for an double rifle:
.470 NE, Heym 88 Safari, 50 Meter, under 3,5 cm

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here you can see the Heym Ceo T. W. with an Heym Jumbo .577 NE (1 second after the first shoot, RECOIL !! :-)) )...

One of Us
posted Hide Post

...ca. 12 meter to the target, close quarter (1 Second after the second shoot)...

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The back-ground...
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of the results of that (great and unforgetabel) day

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
Arjun...using Woodie Hydros at 50 yds...
470 NE, PH with a Trijicon red dot, 500 gr bullet at 2160 fps yields 2 inch avg R-L groups ctr-ctr.
500 NE, PH with a Trijicon red dot, 570 gr bullet at 2130 fps yields 1.75 inch avg R-L groups ctr-ctr.

These are the best I've developed trying various solids...Hydros, CEBs, Hornady. The individual barrel groups are all tight clusters, but it's the R-L centering that
counts.

Several friends have PM'd and indicated that I should be doing better with my ctr-ctr spacing than I reported...I have, but with Woodie SPs.

I have purposely focused on Hydros and CEB blunt nose solids as great penetration ele
bullets. They shoot within my understanding of decent centering, certainly for ele at 50 ft rather than 50 yds.

I am entirely pleased with my Heym performance and the next DR will only be a Heym.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FM:
Here you can see the Heym Ceo T. W. with an Heym Jumbo .577 NE (1 second after the first shoot, RECOIL !! :-)) )...

Great shooting, especially as it's a 577NE! Mr Sullivan must be very pleased with it!
Frank, do you know why he went for a 577NE, instead of a 600NE like Ivan Carter?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting, especially as it's a 577NE! Mr Sullivan must be very pleased with it!
I hope so. More you can see in his new video.

Do you know why he went for a 577NE, instead of a 600NE like Ivan Carter?
Yes, and it is an long and interessting story. In the moment I write it down for an new European gun magazine "Best gun". If it is finished, I will publish it here.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will publish it here.
Thanks Frank, please publish it on AR; it will be very interesting reading Smiler

I have arranged to visit the Heym factory later this year (thanks to Ms. Jacqui Jansen van Vuuren at Heym), and hope to see the 577NE Jumbo model in real-life!

Peter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
For you Hyme double rifle onwers what kind of accuracy do you get at 50 and 100 yards. Please specify whether you are using a scope, red dot or just iron sights.

Thanks,
Arjun

HEYM doubles have an open-sighted factory accuracy guarantee of 2" or less at 50-meters.

Here is an example that I fired yesterday from the bench at 50-yards with open sights. The widest two are 2" outside-to-outsde.

Here is another pair fired from a second rifle the day before.

You will not have accuracy problems with a HEYM double... that's a guarantee by a 150-year old company.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have arranged to visit the Heym factory later this year (thanks to Ms. Jacqui Jansen van Vuuren at Heym), and hope to see the 577NE Jumbo model in real-life!

Please:

a.)
A good idea.
Come to factory and see the quality with your own eyes.

b.)
If you want to see the big stuff, you must come to the next Heym event in late spring of 2013. There are some "new" .577 and .600 NE. (and of course more doubles to shoot :-))

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are some "new" .577 .... :-))

'New' Jumbo? Frank, you're really killing me! Big Grin
Can you (or Chris) give any more info please? Wink