THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Regulating a Baikal O/U - any tips on how best to do this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulating a Baikal O/U - any tips on how best to do this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I have done a search and found a few relevant posts, but nothing that really addresses my question.

I bought a Baikel MP-94 in 223 for my son and he is really happy with it. However the barrels shoot 6" apart at 50 yards, and I would like to improve the regulation. The barrels seem capable of reason able accuracy, as each one turned in sub .8" groups independently at 50 yards.

I took a look at the owners manual and see the jack screw I need to adjust. But I don't have any feel for how much adjustment will be required.

The below photo shows the grouping of the two barrels, and also the distance between barrels. POA was the centre of the bottom target. The bottom barrel is shooting virtually to POA, but as you can see, the top barrel is way off POA (two targets obscured are unrelated).

Has anyone travelled this path before? Any insight would be appreciated.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming the jack screw functions the same on the O/U as on the SxS you rotate the top of the wheel toward the muzzle to open the barrel groups up and towards the chamber to bring them together. From my experience with my 30-06 and 45-70 it is pretty hit or miss and very load sensitive. Best advice is to move it a little at a time until you start seeing movement of the barrel groups. My 30-06 came together fairly easily but I'm still working on the 45-70. Word is that the smaller calibers are easier to regulate than the larger bores, just the opposite of fixed barrel double rifles. Even if it takes some time it is a lot of fun for such a small investment in a double rifle.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I did with my Baikal; forgetting how the jack screw worked; shoot. Screw the screw a half a turn in any direction you want. Shoot. See what happened. If it is in the right direction, keep doing it. If not, go the opposite way. It works and if you are wrong the first time, as I was, you get to shoot more. The process is fun too.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight guys. It doesn't sound like there is anything in particular to look out for. I will give it a try next time I am at the range.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote