New
Find
Notify
Tools

9,3mm calibers for DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This keeps popping up, maybe it's time to put the lie to the rumor. Or substantiate it.
All they seem to care about where I have been (Zim & RSA) is that the 4457 form matches the entry form (like SAPS 520)they issue.

Rich
DRSS

Question:
Has anyone here ever been asked upon entry to any country in Africa to show they had a minimum of a .375 caliber rifle in their possession or if they are hunting Dangerous Game?

Choices:
Yes. Expound on the circumstances
No. Never been checked.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay "yes", tell us about it please.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The guy at customs doesn't necessarily know what you are hunting so how would he know, or know you're not borrowing a big gun, or a bunch of other possibilities.

Sorry, but this sounds like one of those busy body posts that explores a subject to death and then some more pain in the ass regulations so mysteriously show up a few months or years later.

Do you run around telling strangers of your favorite fishing spot?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh Will, this is supposed to be fun.

Please get back on your meds real soon.

Cheers

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My one and only safari in Zimbabwe - the rifles were taken out and inspected. Serial # checked to make sure it matched 4457. Number of rounds for each rifle checked and recorded and caliber matched to the rifle being used.

To be honest, there was no doubt that they met the 375 "minimum" but in answer to your question, no one asked before the guns were uncased.

To Will's point nor were we asked what was being hunted. Maybe that's the "loophole" that is being used and no one wants to close the loop on either side.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
Gosh Will, this is supposed to be fun.

Please get back on your meds real soon.

Cheers

Tell me the 4457 and the SAP 520 are fun, or prove anything.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought so.

Zimbabwe customs people are much more interested in welcoming the hunter, and his stash of American Greenbacks to their country than anything else. So are most other African countries.

Gun Serial Number matches the firearm, ammunition headstamp matches the gun barrel caliber stamp. Welcome to Africa!!

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would Zim check the 4457? Isn't that for re entry into the USA?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Why would Zim check the 4457? Isn't that for re entry into the USA?
Peter.

Yup - but when we landed they asked what paperwork we had to demonstrate ownership and thats what we had. They were clearly familiar with what US folk should have on hand.
I wasnt about to argue, ask or protest. I just wanted to get my things to our safari.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote