New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Refinishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new Heym 450 n.e.ph with upgraded wood but I don't think it is finished that well and the stock needs to be finished flush
to the metal. I live in Paradise Valley Montana, does anyone know of someone in Montana that I can trust to do this work?

Thanks,
Bob

Posts: 40 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bob

Many European gun makers leave the wood "proud" of the metal on purpose for a reason.

The theory is as the gun is used over the years it will become necessary to refinish the stock.

The "Proud" wood allows some sanding of the stock, so that when refinished the metal is not "proud" above the wood.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
bob-mt:

What NE450No2 said.

Heym rifles make proud stocks standard on their rifles so they can be finished later.

You can get their rifles flush if ordered from the company.

If you insist on getting the rifle refinished, I would either send it to JJ at Champlins or Dustin Mounts (Purdey's US gunsmith) in Houston - he has reasonable prices.

Since the rifle is new, I would consult with Chris Sells (posts here as "new_guy"). He is the Heym DR rep here in the States and can tell you if doing the work outside of their approved gunsmiths would void their warranty.

Enjoy your rifle.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes I know that they leave the wood proud and when I ordered the gun, I ordered it flush but it did not come that way. Hopefully I can find somebody in Montana to do the work I am not realy concerned about thw warranty.

Thanks,
Bob

Posts: 40 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
How about Serengeti Stock Works

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob-mt:
Yes I know that they leave the wood proud and when I ordered the gun, I ordered it flush but it did not come that way.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob - I've only received one request for "flush wood" in the past year or two. Where did you buy the rifle?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the rifle from you Chris,the reason I did not say anything is that it is not a big deal.anyway i think a differant finish would show off the wood better so it all works in the end. Rusty thanks for the link.Chris you could help me with one thing,I need to find some snap caps any info would be great.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good grief - don't you know that steve hughes lives in livingstone, if he'll do it for you, you might just as well get one of the guys who wrote the book to do it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Butchloc that was the info I was looking for, I knew there was someone in livingston but could not find the info .thanks

BOB

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bob. The 450 w/26" bbls. I forgot that you were in MT.

SDH would do an excellent job no doubt if you want the finish built up a bit.

Regarding snap caps, I'm all out. I've been getting them from Kynoch, but they are out.

The AZooms work well, and they should be in stock.

Try http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Scott Mays here in Dallas did a very nice job refinishing my 88B. I am sure Chris would take the gun down here and get it to Scott if you are interested.
Chris knows Scott. Scott is the gunsmith at the Beretta shop in Dallas. He worked on his own for 20-30 years.
I know he is not local but just a shipment away.
If you have an e-mail address I will send you a photo of the work he did on my 88B.
Typically, his work is reasonably priced.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jerry Fisher is in Big Timber. That is not that far away. He does great work and is one heck of a nice man. I have held some of his work and it is awesome. I'm sure he could handle a simple refinish job.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob-mt:
Thanks for the replies. Yes I know that they leave the wood proud and when I ordered the gun, I ordered it flush but it did not come that way. Hopefully I can find somebody in Montana to do the work I am not realy concerned about thw warranty.

Thanks,
Bob

Since Heym did not meet the requirements of your original order, why don't you just send it back to Heym and have them make good on what you ordered or reimburse you for what needs to be done...seems reasonable..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since Heym did not meet the requirements of your original order, why don't you just send it back to Heym and have them make good on what you ordered or reimburse you for what needs to be done...seems reasonable..

As NE 450 pointed out, Heym rifles come with the wood "proud" of the metal.

The Heym factory in Germany could certainly execute a stock with the wood flush if ordered so (and if Bob's rifle came just as per their standard finish, maybe there was a hitch in the ordering chain...?), but this would be charged extra as a custom job.

Can't really see why one would ask a company to refund an extra that they did not charge for...

Also, in their double rifles owner's manual they specify that the stock is oiled several times at the factory, but that the oil finish needs to be built up over time.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr i would like to keep it some what local,BUT thanks for the info. 505ED do you have the name of jerrys shop or the number? jjs if i was going to send it back i would and should have done it a while ago and not have waited.I agree with philip a. like i said before it is not that big of a deal and i do not really like the finnish that much anyway.I still can not find any snap caps,and i looked at the link chris gave me but 450ne was not listed.anymore places to look?

thanks for all the help.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bob,

As far as I know his shop does not have a name, If you are a good a stockmaker as Jerry Fisher you dont have to have one.

His card is:

Jerry Fisher
Stockmaker
12092 Crane Mountain Rd
Bigfork, MT 59911
406-837-2722
406-837-2726

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote