THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My 512 tikka has been blooded.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 512 tikka has been blooded.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and daughter had me spending the Christmas holidays In the Smoky Mountains this year. I took my new Tikka 512 along. I found a shooting preserve that had cow elk and Russian boar, and a host of other game. I know this is not hunting but it was something to do and a way to fill the freezer. I walked this mountain for two days carrying the 9.3x74 barrel set. I was very impressed by how well the rifle carried and how handy it was. I have reduced both trigger pulls to 3.25 lb. All my shot were on call. I had 8 rounds of 286 gr Norma. The first animal to fall was the cow elk at 90 yards. My shot went through the hart and out in a straight line. She stretched forward but did not take a step, I waited about 4 seconds and put another next to it about 2 “ up and over to make sure I double lunged her. It was not needed. I hate to see an animal suffer. She was dead on her feet with the first shot. I was impressed by the damage done and lack of blood shot meat. As they say you can eat up to the hole. My next shot took 270 lb Russian boar at 80 yards. One shot through the top of the heart. Bang flop. The bullet traveled straight through, but did show more expansion than on the elk. Again you could eat right up to the hole. The cow elk was thin so I was offered a feral pig about 300 lbs. This shot was about 75 yards and placed under the ear. The bullet deflected and took out the first or second vertebrae and came out the front of the off shoulder taking out the leg. The bullet must have come apart; I also had a small hole on the near shoulder. At first I thought I had missed my shot at the head. But I did find a bullet hole were I was aiming. I don’t know if it was a bone chip or piece of the bullet that caused the exit wound on the near side. I would not recommend this bullet for Cape buffalo; it should have tracked straight through that pigs head. Over all I was very pleased with how the rifle has performed.
So far I have take several limit of ducks, some quail, a cow elk and two large swine.
Now to the loading bench.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and a nicely written story to go with it...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Which load did you use? Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory Norma with the 286 gr load. I am still trying to get the reloading room put back to- gether. (Katrinia did a # on it.)

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro