THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    9.3x74R light loads that regulate to sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R light loads that regulate to sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Champuis double that I would like to keep shooting but due to a disability may not be able to with factory loads. Any one have a light load, with cast or jacketed bullets, that might regulate to the sights. It's factory regulated with 286 gr factory load.

Both the CZ & the Nosler factory shoot to point of aim.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
What you ask is not predictable. It's a cut and try proposition. You will have to develop a handload, knowing that if bbls. shoot apart, velocity has to be increased (or bullet weight decreased) and if they cross-shoot, velocity is too high or bullet too light. All in all, be forewarned that it may become a lengthy search. Also, the above only relates to bbls. regulation, i.e. making them shoot together, not where they shoot... When done, you will probably have to correct/modify the iron sights too. No problem at all if the rifle is scoped, though.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle has both iron sights & a scope. What I really need is a place to start. A safe powder for use with reduced loads and some idea of a safe range of loads.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have osteo arthritis that sometimes gets aggravated by some of my shooting. At one point I sold my Chapuis because it just got too painful to shoot. I got another one that fits a bit better. I usually shoot the standard IMR 4831/286 load, but when Uncle Arthr is visiting, I use a lighter load using 30 grains of 5744 and 286 grain bullets. Speer gives a load range for their 270 for this powder. You'll need to work up the correct one for your gun. Since this does not fill the case, you need to make extra, extra sure you don't double charge the cases. These hit close enough out to fifty yards to make fun shooting and I use them in my drilling for hunting. It has open sights which limits me to 75 yards and under.
That load is very pleasant to shoot. My other option is a cast bullet load using Lyman 259 grain bullets and Trail Boss. This is definitely only a close range affair, but a gentle shooter. Neither of these really regulate well at longer than short range, but allow you to keep shooting.
Hope that helps.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Biffy it was a tremendous help. At least I have several things to try now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the 75% rule ?

I have used 235gn Woodleighs in my 9.3 and it regulates to the sights, after a bit of playing around.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Pastorp I am glad to see you pursuing this avenue. I shoot 20 gr of Trailboss under a 286 lead bullet but in a single shot so no idea about regulation. Has proven accurate in two different guns. I never chrono'd it.

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned the 5744 load shoots about 7" low at fifty yards, but does regulate in my Chapuis. The lead load crosses pretty bad, but shoots low but dead center out of my right barrel.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what you can do if you can't get a load to regulate (and it will be hard to find).
Get a scope with some sort of hash marks on the windage line like a mil dot scope. Sight in your right barrel to hit center at 50 yards. Then, shoot the left barrel and note where the bullet is in relation to one of the lines or dots on the windage line of the scope. Then, afterwards, for the left barrel, that is your aiming mark. With one of these mil dots you are bound to find an aiming point you like.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate all the suggestions. Now I have lots to try.