THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    refurbishing a classic double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

refurbishing a classic double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Manton 360#2. An extractor gun Thought it was in good enough condition for me to hunt with. Minor frosting of bores. The wrist was cracked but professionally repaired. It fits well and shoots well. I would like to refurbish the gun but prices seem a bit high to do so. At what point do you give up and continue to shoot as is??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Sentimental value aside, I draw the line when the value of the rifle + cost of repairs + cost of time to get repairs done all exceed the value of the finished product.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sentimental attachment to a good rifle will sway your decision. Will you be happy with the refurbished rifle? I have never looked at or spent money on my doubles with the intent of getting my money's worth out of them. I did it because it pleased me.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
To refinish a double is not the blasphemy it is to refinish a Colt or Winchester. That said, have the work done by a "name " 'smith and refinish to original specs and you'll be fine. Cost? It depends what you have in the rifle and the cost of the work. If you'll enjoy the double more in better condition then do it. If the work will exceed what you want to resell it for, don't. I agree with Rusty; it's more than just dollars and cents as one can't put a price on the joy of using a vintage double.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Discuss your project with JJ Perodeau, if you haven't already. We in Oklahoma are very fortunate to have JJ close at hand.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Sentimental attachment to a good rifle will sway your decision. Will you be happy with the refurbished rifle? I have never looked at or spent money on my doubles with the intent of getting my money's worth out of them. I did it because it pleased me.

.....And that is the best reason I can think of!

Every double rifle I've owned and sold is a sale I wish had never happened, regardless of it's condition. If a gun has honest wear, and in need of repair regardless of what it involves and you intend keeping the gun, then go for it, classic or not, but have it done by a proper restorer. If you intend selling it then pass on any full restoration, and sell as is.

.......It's your gun, do as it suits you!

.................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over its lifetime any British double would expect to have the barrels re-blacked (and usually at same time) the other parts if they were worn of their blacking. It would also be re-jointed if needed by whatever method was then standard practice.

And if thought needed the engraving on the barrels of the maker's name refreshed at time of the re-black. And if the barrels were truly worn out..yes...those also would be replaced AND THE GUN BETTER AND MORE DESIRABLE FOR THOSE NEW BARRELS.

And if needed to have the chequering on wrist and fore-end refreshed. Indeed if being passed from father to son it might have the stock lengthened or even replaced. And if owner was 'fussy' the fore-end then re-stocked from the same blank.

I've done exactly that with my father's Clarke and my own Boss. I'm taller than my father was by a good six inches and the Boss was made for someone a lot shorter than either of us having a 14" LOP when made by Boss. Both I had the fore-ends re-done from the same blank.

What would probably never be done and I also did not do and would not do is have them re colour case hardened. It's not a safe practice on an old gun as it carries risks of wrecking the action.

So that's my 2c. Refurbishment yes, re-stocking yes, re-blacking yes, re-barrel yes. Re colour case hardening no.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It shoots very well and is reliable. It looks worn, like a hunted vintage gun might be.It fits me better than any other double rifle I have owned without further modifications.

Thanks guys for good advice.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
It shoots very well and is reliable. It looks worn, like a hunted vintage gun might be.It fits me better than any other double rifle I have owned without further modifications.

Thanks guys for good advice.

A lucky man.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had a Verney Carron 16ga Sxs made in the 1920s. It was a two barrel set and had a pair of Brasier sidelocks . I shot it well and used it a lot. It had a worn finish but was mechanically perfect. I had it completely restored with new CC, bluing, wood refinished to new. After I had it restored I was afraid of using it for fear of damaging the finish. I sold it to a collector who doesn't use it either. I recently bought two bespoke left hand Verney Carron shotguns in 12 and 20 gauge and My goal is to completely wear off the finish before I pass them to my grandson. I take care of them but I don't baby them. My advice is to use the gun and enjoy it. Take care of it but don't worry about the finish.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burrard who was a Brit gun writer in the 1930s, "In the Gunroom", "The Modern Shotgun"
recommended painting the locks and action, yearly, to preserve the colour hardening effect with clear varnish.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't varnish peel? Maybe it's lacquer I'm thinking of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well it certainly is a better thing to spend your money on that is buying a blaser

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lb,
You like the gun as is, you see it as a legend that's been there and done it all..Why mess with it, just shoot it, hunt with it and have fun has been my life story on guns, and to top it off you don't have to baby the damn thing!!

If you need something pretty, buy a new car! or getcha self a new girl friend.

If anyone suggested me refinishing "Sweet Thang"
my old wore out 450-400 that shot one inch 75 yard groups Id of had him put to sleep by my vet or Lord knows what.

So how have you been doing, you don't write, you don't call!! and havn't heard a word from you in a long time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
had some hard luck. Had Lt knee replacement that got infected. Revision ended up infected as well. Then a third grand opening to place a spacer. Spent the last 10 months in and out of surgery and long term antibiotic therapy. Pain meds and antibiotics and partial weight bearing took me down pretty harsh. Got home after thanksgiving and doing better. will go back to surgery for removal and replacement of total knee sometime in late Feb. if I stay clear of infection.
I guess Im paying for all the good times I had in my Youth.

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW LB sounds like you were rode hard and put up wet..Get better..

As to refinishing a double, although I don't do it as a rule, Cal Papus said it all, it sure won't hurt the value of a double like it does a Winchester or Colt..

Why is that? because all the famous old hunters and PHs and English royalty , had their guns refinished and gone over at the end of every hunting season and that has passed down thru the ages. Its acceptable in English doubles and shotguns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
No kidding. Get well soon!

One way to look at it is that the stock is already cracked and it is in about the least desireable chambering in a double so a refinish won't hurt the value but may not add any either.
I personally love the 360 No.2 but most buyers don't.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the reluctance or perhaps the taboo of refinishing certain styles of American made Guns.
I have been fortunate to own and shoot 30 + days a year a 16b Purdey for the last 25 years or more. In that time I have refinished the wood more than once had the checkering re-cut and the barrels re-blackened twice.
It is a privilege to own and use these guns, some made like mine 122 years ago. If I have had the where with all to own and shoot a vintage gun I feel it is my responsibility to maintain and husband these guns so I may pass it on in the same or better shape than when I came to me

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote