New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP new double
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two double rifles, 360#2 that fits very well(I think) Still awaiting components to start loading process. Stock cut short and recoil pad added. When I mount the rifle my Rt trigger finger sits on the rear trigger, and i can reach the front. triggers. The new 470 has a definite longer LOP. You only get one chance to do it right. Am I right that the LOP should be dictated by your arm length? As it sits now, I can not reach the back trigger when I mount the 470 to shoulder by more than an inch. How do you know where to cut the but stock???? Could go to
Champlins and get JJ to sort it out but what is the proper consideration..

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a double shotgun they used to say correct length of pull is to place the butt in the crock of your trigger arm and the pad of your trigger finger should be on the the trigger. Next test is to follow a target with gun low, bring the foresight bead in line with target and then just lift the butt and the butt should hit the shoulder pocket. Personally I prefer a slightly longer stock so you almost have to push out to mount the gun. On a rifle given that you tend to mount it before aiming a slightly shooter stock may be the order of the day. But a double rifle needs to be fast handling and when the chips are down it must mount and shoot to the point like a well fitted shotgun.

Best answer is to have it fitted by a well qualified and knowledgeable gunsmith.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most DRs made these days have long pulls; longer than 15 inches, for some reason. I like them to fit the way your first one does. I am 6 feet tall and like about 14 3/4ths LOP to the front trigger. that is what my K gun measures.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most DRs made these days have long pulls; longer than 15 inches, for some reason.

Confused Really? None that I have seen unless special order.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should have used the term "some". Standard Chapuis lop is 15.25 (I had one) my Sabatti 450 is 15.25 (just measured it); his new 470 seems to be longer than 15 inches. So some definitely do. Others don't, like my Krieghoff which is 14.75. I have seen them as I am forced to buy and use off the rack guns rather than bespoke ones.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my shotguns fitted by JJ are 13.5inches. Most double rifles are around 15inches. Bought and sold a few fine rifles because if one cuts the stock of a best double, shotgun or double rifle,the value hits the skids big time.That is why I am having heartburn cutting the 470. I know I am hurting its value.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you shoulder the gun your face should be midway between the from of the comb and the heel.
Through the gun up with your eyes closed and have someone watch.
Are you going to DSC next month?
If so, come see me at the Verney-Carron booth (130-131) and I will have you measured.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Now that's a great offer tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you very much. would it be helpful to have my rifle with me so you can see what I'mworking with???

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
thank you very much. would it be helpful to have my rifle with me so you can see what I'mworking with???

Would not hurt to bring if it is not too much trouble. If you can not bring it will can still get you measured.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote