New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zoli O/U Double Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just saw an ad for these in an SCI publications and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I like the idea of a drop-out trigger like the Perazzi shotguns have.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been of poor or really crappy making, but the later models and especially then one you are refering to have had some good reviews in swedish gun magasines.

I would insist on a test shoot prior to buying.

They would be the equivivalent of a pick up truck rifle ds. According to what I have seen you pay to high a premium for them in the US.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are listed at $6,000US for the basic O/U rifle with either a single or double trigger and an extra set of 20ga barrels is $2900US .... what do they sell for in your country?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about this model

http://www.blocket.se/vi/16663525.htm?ca=11_s&last=1 US 4 100 as per the ad

Or this
http://www.blocket.se/vi/16153660.htm?ca=11_s&last=1 US 3 900

Prices go all the way up to about 6 000 US but that includes MAK mount and barrel set.

However there is a swan necked stocked FN 25 in 9,374R that has my attention,

http://www.blocket.se/vi/16413748.htm?ca=11_s

about 9 600 US

Prices in Sweden tend to lower regarding Euro made weapons and US made comes with a premium, that said they are not cheap either of way but still it will give you more gun for the dollar so to say.

Best regards Chris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be the one they call the FOCUS which was the 2nd one at $3900 ---- are these new guns?

I wonder how hard it would be to import one to America.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, yes they appear new and second importing just the one rifle will cost about 600-1000 USD, depending on the shipper.

I would not import a rifle like this, shooting it to se if it regulates properly is essential.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
It would be the one they call the FOCUS which was the 2nd one at $3900 ---- are these new guns?

I wonder how hard it would be to import one to America.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

At that price I would take a look at the Chapuis 9,3x74R.

Research my previous posts, I am very happy with mine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny - I just logged in to see if someone has anything to say about the Zoli o/u doubles.
You see, I handled one at the outdoor show in Riihimaki in Finland last Sunday; and also the general comments here and on nitroexpress.com have seldom been very positive about the Zolis (any of them), or at least warning that the quality seems to vary a lot.

Now to the point:
The Zoli felt damn good when handling it. It was by far the best balanced gun I've ever handled, it pointed well and felt like a quality gun overall - not top-notch (I had the chance to compare it to an 11.000 Euro Mauser .416 Safari bolt-action model...), but I certainly could not pinpoint any quality faults on the gun.
My mouth did, indeed, water.

Well, then the salesperson - being a salesperson - took me to see the Browning double o/u.
It weighted 100 grams less, but felt like almost half the weight of the Zoli. This certainly proved the effect of the balance of the gun on how the gun feels to handle.
Also both guns were extremely short: 20" barrels made the guns very short, indeed.
For my father the Zoli felt even better than the Browning; I needed to press my head fairly low down to get the sights of the Zoli aligned properly. Then again, my father is 2", maybe 3" shorter than I and weights 45lbs more.

I must say, though, that the price of the Browning was the same as that of a Zoli drilling, and I could not see any justification to the price premium v. the Zoli.
I seem to recollect the price of the Browning being 3900 Euros; and I think the Zoli was about 3500 Euros. (Interestingly, on the Internet I found one vendor on whose price list the Zoli is actually more expensive than the Browning!)
An o/u combo (shot/rifle) would have been about 2500 euros. Very good value for money, indeed.

But problem is, I have not shot either so I could not say about the shootability of either gun.
Both were in 9,3x74R.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't quite understand what you meant when you said the Zoli was the best balanced gun you're ever held but then said the Browning weighed 100 grams less but felt like it half the weight.

Did the Zoli feel heavy? Do you know what each of them weighed?

You also mentioned the barrels were only 20" long but in the web-site they list them at 55cm or just a shade less than 22".

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I don't quite understand what you meant when you said the Zoli was the best balanced gun you're ever held but then said the Browning weighed 100 grams less but felt like it half the weight.

Did the Zoli feel heavy? Do you know what each of them weighed?

Zoli 3,3kg - Browning 3,2kg. In comparison the Zoli drilling weighted 3,5kg but felt very, very heavy. Certainly like I would not want to walk even a morning in the woods, let a lone the entire day.
The Browning simply felt light as you wouldn't believe it. And the Zoli certainly did not feel heavy at all, on the contrary.
But the when holding the Browning the weight of the gun made it feel as if made of plastic. Incredible.

quote:
You also mentioned the barrels were only 20" long but in the web-site they list them at 55cm or just a shade less than 22".

Sorry, typo: 55cm makes 22" (or actually a tad less)!

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

I think we need an English interpreter here!

Near as I can translate it: get a Browning. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I understand now. Part of my misunderstanding was he started out talking about how well balanced the O/U rifle was but then switched to comparing t Browning O/U rifle to a Zoli drilling .. I think.

Will -- I've handled, but not shot, a Browning O/U chambered in 9.3x74R (which also had a matching set of 20ga barrels) and while it would be a delight to carry I think it would knock the bejabbers out of me ---- a very sharp comb on the stock and more drop at comb than I used to.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Will,

Why would you spend twice as much on a rifle of inferior quality?

He's better off with a Blaser than a Browning.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote