New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Merkel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a 470 merkel in a shop this weekend for 7900.00 new in the box. Is this a good deal. I had trouble seeing the sights but the rifle felt good a little heavey up front though. this was a plan jane no recoil pad no scoup mounts
Plain wood. If I sell my mrc 375 and my new brno 602 in 458 I can afford it. It seem more practiable to rebarrel the 602 to a 470 mobogo or a 510 wells.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is the wholsale price for a plain merkel. they let you put the recoil pad on - that way the length of pull is cut for you ! pretty clever these germans.

this doesn't sound like a rifle for you, if you can't see the sights how are you going to hit anything ? maybe get the pipe wrench out and screw a new bbl into your brno.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda depends on whether or not you want a double rifle. if you can't see the sights its not a big deal to scope a merkel, you just need to cut a couple of dovetails into the rib and the leupold detachable rings will work just fine. if you want iron sights but can't see them, mill a small groose into both the front and rear sights and epoxy a small piece of the plastic sight material into the groove In my case is used green in front and orange in the rear. just put the green dot ontop of the orange one and you're set.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I saw a 470 merkel in a shop this weekend for 7900.00 new in the box. Is this a good deal. I had trouble seeing the sights but the rifle felt good a little heavey up front though. this was a plan jane no recoil pad no scoup mounts
Plain wood. If I sell my mrc 375 and my new brno 602 in 458 I can afford it. It seem more practiable to rebarrel the 602 to a 470 mobogo or a 510 wells.

JD

JD, I have a 470NE Merkel, and I certainly wouldn't trade it for the two rifles you are thinking about selling to get the double rifle!

When you have a good recoil pad installed, you can have the length of pull fitted for your personal needs. The sights are fine for some, but are easy to modify to wide "V" express sight on the standing rear sight. The 100 yd flip up, can be left as is or modified for a more precise sighting at 100 yds. JJ at Champlin's can install scope bases, of the type you ask for. The best is the claw mount, but the swing mount from Germany is fine as well.

$7900 US is a good price for a NEW 140-2 Safari 470NE Merkel double rifle. The choice wouldn't be any problem for me! I'd do it in a heart beat!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 470 Merkel and it is extremely accurate. I installed a mercury tube in stock and it is really easy to shoot

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I have seen at local Gander Mtn. was market above 9K. It was very basic and not even worth 7900USD. I would rather buy a brace of Ruger Numero 1s in .450/400 and have a pocket of cash to boot! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gi what loads do you use in your Merkel if you dont mind me asking ?

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in....I have a Merkel 470. I loaded Mike's Cup points with 89 gr of RL 15 and a Kynoch filler for a chrono'd 2200 fps and Woodleigh's softs with 90 gr and the same filler for a chrono'd 2150 fps. Both loads regulated a 60 yds...very accurate....and deadly. Worked on my buff about a month ago. The Merkel is a great gun....like a tool. I think it's one of the best deals going....and $7900 is not a bad deal at all.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote