THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need Opinion on Merkel DR 141 E Brand new at half price
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Opinion on Merkel DR 141 E Brand new at half price
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Ok folks:

You are not going to believe this. I have the opportunity to buy a Merkel 141 E, coin fininsh for $4700.00. This gun is brand new in the box BUT, it DOES NOT come with paperwork. No book no test target.

Do I take a chance and buy it?

The other option is the same rifle with colour case hardening WITH the paperwork for $5000.00.

Target show two holes with a vertical spread of 3/4 inch.

Quick, I need your opinion. I love the coin finish but would settle for colour case hardening.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
Madly off in all directions dancing

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy both Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the one with paperwork, but I prefer case to coin anyhow. At that price did they fall off the back of a truck?

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
I echo 500N statement! Buy both NOW! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
I echo 500N statement! Buy both NOW!

If I was in the US, I'd take one of them.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, WHAT CALIBRE ARE THEY ?????

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

Who cares there not Sabatti dancing Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
They are both in calibre 9.3x74R.

Only enough money for one.

As they are the 141 E, regulation should not be an issue because I can re-regulate for load of my choice; right?

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

Who cares there not Sabatti dancing Big Grin

That's a bit low Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
These guns are in Canada.

I will divulge which store after I get mine.

He also has Chapuis on sale for almost 1/2 price.

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You still haven't said what Calibre they are in ?

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Look up a copuple of posts. I posted twice.

Calibre for both is 9.3z74R

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R to correct typo.

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a 141(e) in that caliber and love it... though I may have to sell it to pay for an upcoming elephant hunt... Alas!

I'm sure both rifles have the cut rib for a scope, right? I put a 1.75x6 Leupold on mine and was about to get groups from both barrels (after some regulation) of less than 2 inches.

Three hundred dollars is cheap insurance. Buy the one with the paperwork.
I find my little Merkel to be a joy to shoot and very, very quick on target after the first shot, not to mention very accurate with the first using the set trigger.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Oh well, I'll be the odd man out. I don't think it's a killer deal by any means. Ken at KEBCO has sold a bunch of them for about that price. I owned one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The short barrels in the nine three will make your ears ring when hunting without hearing protection. The do it yourself regulation is unpure to say the least. The model 140 is far superior IMO. Longer barrels and hand regulated. On the plus side the 9.3x74R is a wonderful cartridge. Good luck with your choice. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I had a look at the top of the barrels and there appears to be only one mount for the scope. The mount is closest to the breach. I thought you would need to mounts on the barrel to mount a scope? What gives? Does Merkel have a new scope mount that attaches to only one spot on the rib?

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I put on NE forum, probably set up for a Holographic scope type set up.

Edit - as someone else said, also the Red Dot sights.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
LOL 500 Nitro:

Can't blame a guy for trying to get as much info as possible.

Would there be any problem getting a dovetail put in to take a regular scope?

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Well guys and gals:

Thanks for all the info. I am going to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

I am quite interested to know how much smaller this Merkel is compared to my Antonio Zoli side by side.

Great carry gun I am sure but how would it be for recoil, I wonder. As stated earlier, small frame, light gun, short barrels.

Any Merkel 141 owners want to pony up with advice?

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon they would be about the same.

I have a Zoli as well in 9.3x74R
and a Merkel 375H&H.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hello Again:

I hate you guys Mad However suggested I buy both guns, my wife wants a word with you shocker.

I am now trying to figure out how I can buy both guns.

One thing I noticed was these guns are regulated using 232 grain Vulcan ammo. How do you think these petite framed guns would handle the recoil of a 286 grain bullet?

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I never had a with recoil problem, but I am much man! Roll Eyes

Actually, heavy loads will get your attention, but after a month or so of fooling around with the rifle, I got used to it and haven't thought about recoil with the Merkel until you asked.

My theory is that I'll use a rifle much more if it's comfortable to carry than one that's to heavy to enjoy toting around. Recoil can be mitigated with a sissy pad while practicing, but weight ain't going to go away unless you inject some helium in the stock or something?

If you buy one of the rifles and do not have the Merkel regulation instuctions, I have a set I'll email you.

A warning. Go slowly and use half the recommended adjustments and make sure the barrels don't get too hot. The rifle starts to spread bullets around after a couple of quick rights and lefts.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote