Find
Notify
Tools

Rising Bite Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I saw this listed on Guns International this morning.

What a nice rifle!!

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100549918

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was originally a BP rifle (1888) and was re-barreled and Nitro proofed to 470 in 2005.
How does this affect the value?

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
How does this affect the value?

Had the gun been in original caliber, presumably a .500ex the gun would have been much more interesting. Had Paul Roberts rebarreled the gun in Rigby´s own .450 Nitro Express I would still have had an interest to some point.
Likewise the restock too. I would have been interested if the restocking was done so it duplicated the older style(victorian period). The wood doesn´t look correct too.

Would I buy this gun if I had the money?. Nope!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that is one of George's rifles. Has to be on a BPE if 1888. Hence the new barrels and stock, hence the price of $37k. I would believe that an original barreled .470 (or other comparable caliber) rising bite would be in excess of $50-60k or more, depending on condition. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
It is one of George's.

Thought it is a nice rifle. I like the engraving, that it is a very early version of a hammerless rifle, it is a sidelock rising bite, it was built by Rigby, then rebuilt by Paul Roberts (did he not own the Rigby name at one point?) over a century later.

Anyway, it is eye candy for me, the stock is an inch too short. At around $7000.00 to restock a sidelock properly it drives the cost too high in terms of value to me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I got the email from George last night with this rifle listed. Very nice and Paul Roberts knows his stuff when it comes to the restock and rebarrel.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Anybody here have a Rigby rising bite hammer gun?

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote