New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Gun Trigger Pull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Merkel 375 H&H. What should the trigger pulls be?

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a double rifle I like them 3lbs for the right, 3.5lbs for the left.

Clean break, no creep, little or no overtravel can be as important as poundage. A heavier but clean trigger can be better shooting than a lighter but less clean and crisp trigger.

JPK

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere close to 4 pounds is what I like, and as JPK says, they must break clean with no creep. Like breaking a glass rod.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3.5-4 lbs for the front trigger and 4-4.5 for the rear trigger.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That IS interesting. I was told that double rifle triggers should be much heavier than double shotgun triggers, maybe because of the stress level of shooting dangerous game. When I got the rigle it was 7.5 on the right and 10.5 on the back. I had it adjusted to 7 and 9. Haven't shot it yet but I'm sure it will still seem too heavy. But that's on the range. When I shot the buffalo I don't remember the trigger pull being heavy at all.
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting accurately, quickly requires a lighter trigger so you aren't pulling the shot. Especially on static shots, where neither the shooter, the game or the gun is moving.

Not all big bore double rifle targets are big DG either, or even if the target animal is big, the target might not be, relative. For example, an elephant brain gives maybe six inches of diameter from front on. Or as another example, I have taken a klipspringer with my big bore double rifle, not much target. Not a target for triggers that need yanking because "squeezing" won't do it.

A shotgun can stand a bit heavier pull and shooting can stay good because of its entirely dynamic nature. A few unnessecary pounds of pull don't add up to all that much when your whole upper body is moving with the gun. I still like lighter triggers though, about 1/2 the weight of the shotgun for the first barrel and a bit more for the second. That generally comes out to about 3-3.5lbs for the front and 3.25 to 4lbs for the rear.

I would have to question the experience of anyone who would advocate heavy trigger pulls.

Even the cleanest triggers are too much at 7 and 9lbs.

My ramblings, for what they're worth.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my Merkel's set to 3 - 3.5lbs for the front and 4 - 45lbs for the rear.

They are now clean and crisp and the same as my other guns.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that I will have to send the rifle back for more trigger work. What you are all saying makes sense. It's hard to hold a sight picture while pulling a 7.5 pound trigger.
Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
RG both of my triggers break at 3 lbs. Very smooth.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote