New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot on a Chapuis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I been thinking about adding either a Burris Fast Fire III or Docter Optic red dot sight on both of my Chapuis's.

Has anyone else done so? If you have, what was needed to install the sight?

Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have the Chapuis or ERA pivot bases on the gun already?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
Do you have the Chapuis or ERA pivot bases on the gun already?

Not on the rifle but I have the scope mounts/rings.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ERA makes a mount for the Doctor that uses both the front & rear base. HMS makes a different mount for the Doctor that uses only the front base.
The HMS mount sits lower, the ERA mount "might" be more secure since it uses both bases. I have used both without issue.
The HMS is more expensive, both are QD.
The Burris footprint is the same as the Doctor but the screw mounting holes might be different (never had one in my hand). Meopta also make a reflex with the Doctor footprint that works on some bases but requires a adapter plate on others. Meopta includes a adapter plate with the sight.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm having a Dr, Optic put on my Chapuis. If it is as good as the Fast Fire III on my Hollis, I'll be very happy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using both bases for a sight that only weighs about an ounce seems almost overkill. The Burris just requires is a small Pictatinny rail. I would how difficult it would be to have one installed to the center rib?

Ken, how much do the HSM mounts cost?

Rusty, who is doing the work on your rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that this works well on a double. The gun has regular, factory pivot mount bases and and I use a MAKlick mount (from Kilik Feintechnik) that has the screw pattern for Burris/Docter/etc. You can take the sight off and on instantly by turning a small lever a quarter turn.

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you don't already have pivot mounts on it; I would just make a Weaver/Picatinny rail to screw into the front rib recess on the Chapuis. Simple and effective, and cheap.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken, how much do the HSM mounts cost?

About $250 if I remember correctly

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like this is nothing money can't cure, lol.

Since I already have the ERA scope mounts/rings what would the ERA mount cost? I like the idea of keeping the sight a little higher as both of my rifles have high combs to begin with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked, its the same $250
Doctor II $275
Doctor III $350
Both Doctors have 3min dot

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
How do these compare to the Trijicon or Leupold red dot sights? I want to put one on my Francotte/G&H double that has a nothing rear sight....but no mount...only can drift out the rear sight and make a base??....short of milling the high rib for an over rib base of some kind??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only brands I have used are Trijicon, Doctor, Meopta. All of these worked as advertised.
I would base my choice on the mounting system as not all will work with the same mount although both Meopta & Trijicon make a adapter plate to fit the std Doctor mount.
If you have something made to fit the rear sight dovetail you loose the rear sight as a backup in case the reflex would die. On a dangerous game gun I want QD mounts for the reflex sight or scope.....just in case it needs to come off in a hurry.
If it was my gun I would leave the rear sight.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good point although I was thinking of putting it on my moose and black bear gun....nevertheless a back up is always important.
Are you aware of any type of mount that would clamp over the rib, even if you had to mill some groves or pin points to attach to?

Thanks for input.
Cheers

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Very good point although I was thinking of putting it on my moose and black bear gun....nevertheless a back up is always important.
Are you aware of any type of mount that would clamp over the rib, even if you had to mill some groves or pin points to attach to?

Thanks for input.
Cheers

Talk to JJ at Champlins. I know he has installed a different HMS mount that requires the rib be milled on the sides and a small shallow hole drilled on the top. I have looked at them and I do not feel they are as secure as other options but we talked & he has not had any problems.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just mounted a Burris on my AR for the first time. I'm impressed! I could see where it could extend the practical use of a DR for you old farts :-) (I'm only 62)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ken!

Beibs...you will be surprised at how fast those 8 years go to 70!! Like a FLASH!!

Thankfully there are alternatives these days rather than hanging them up....or missing and making excuses!!

John Sharp told me it would be HERSAY to put an optical sight on a Double.....he will get there too !!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and a lot less obvious than the looks of a scope on a DR. Go for it. As I said, I'm impressed with the holographic sight. It beats trying to line up a front sight with a rear blade on the nose of an enraged Cape Buffalo in a timely fashion!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of installing a Burris Fast Fire III on a Ruger semi auto .22. Just ordered the sight and mount. Also purchased the Docter Optic mount for my Heym which simply fastens to the rib.
Not sure what I will do with the Chapuis's as I already have two new scopes and mounts/rings for them.
I like the smallness of the red dot type sights and most likely they will not affect regulation but scopes offer a brighter viewing area.
Decisions.......decisions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll like the FF-III. I put one on a Ruger No. 1 in 450-400. It is holding up fine after a couple of hundred rounds of slightly warm loads. It's the fastest sight picture to acquire I have ever used. I put one on my Chapuis 9.3 x 74 with the Recknagel pivot mount for a red dot. The light sight and mount did not affect the regulation and my rifle absolutely will not regulate with any kind of scope. The Recknagel is a little higher than I like but it might be perfect for you since you have mentioned your comb is high for you. I'm going to have to get one of Ken's mounts that sits a little lower as soon as I finish this kitchen re-model project.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put my first Fastfire 3 on a Searcy 450 3 1/4 NE and liked it so much I added one to my AHR
458 Lott. Both are on quick release mounts and are very quick and functional in the field. Quickest sight I have ever used.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
You'll like the FF-III. I put one on a Ruger No. 1 in 450-400. It is holding up fine after a couple of hundred rounds of slightly warm loads. It's the fastest sight picture to acquire I have ever used. .

Bob, how did you set up the sight on your No.1? what base did you use

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris makes a base for the NO. 1. I put it on the front mount position. I found the mount on Ebay.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ken,
I am thinking about the HMS. Is it repeatable, no change in POI when you take it on and off?
Do you know if it requires fitting?
I have a double rifle on the way wich pivot mount bases and am not quite sure which pivot mount it is for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole E:
Ken,
I am thinking about the HMS. Is it repeatable, no change in POI when you take it on and off?
Do you know if it requires fitting?
I have a double rifle on the way wich pivot mount bases and am not quite sure which pivot mount it is for.

I have used both the HMS & ERA mounts and have seen no change in POI when taken off & on the gun. Nether require fitting & fit the standard ERA / EAW base.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC