THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    ??? 9,3 bullets & 9,3x74R loaded ammo ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

??? 9,3 bullets & 9,3x74R loaded ammo ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going thru the latest catalog and noticed RWS ammo loaded with a 291gra Rap-X bullet and a 293gr Uni-Torpedo-X Penetrator --- any experience with this ammo.... especially compared to the Norma 285gr Oryx?

Also ran across some unfamiliar bullets --- PRVI 285gr at 100 for $23.99 and the Lapua 285gr at 100 for $42.79 --- any experience with either of these?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill - those market based names are getting so bold that those bulets wont go through the bore one day I guess Smiler

Nevertheless - 291 gr Rap-x Roll Eyes is EVO bullet and it is a ? (for me at least) so far here in EU (not many use them).

Uni - torpedo - x Penetrator homer is a plain old TUG - I can vouch for that one - excelent penetration, no meat loss...definitely stronger/harder than Oryx

P.S. here is the only one I got so far (I shoot them in 9,3x62 - intend in doing it so in 9,3x74R also). It passed impala lengthwise breaking thigh bone at the entry - it was found in the windpipe.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mouse93. All useful information to us newcomers. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
PRVi bullets shoot very well in my Tikka 512 O/U. I use them as a practice bullet and would use them for deer, say. I would not take them to Africa.Speer 270's are also inexpensive.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of the Speer bullet in a Valmet 412, and found that they do not expand much. It helps to shoot something like a deer in the shoulder.

CDD

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

at 2250fps the PRVI 286 will shoot thru a 12" live ponderosa pine. As you said, at $24 per hundred there can't be any bad news for hunting here.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody shot any game with the PRVIs yet? I'm messing around with the Speers for deer hunting here in the east, but would like to try the PRVI's if they are soft enough.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried most of the 9.3 bullets on the market, except for the A Frame (which I bought but elected not to shoot in a double rifle) and the new Hornady.

The Woodleigh is as good as you need for heavier game. For deer, pigs, black bear, etc., most of cheaper bullets work fine. I've got to try the new Hornady, as I think it will be a peach. The 270 grain Speer, the old 285 grain RWS RN, and the Hawk RN are all "soft" and have worked well for me. I shoot them in a .400/.360 at 2000 fps, and have had no expansion problems with any of them.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma 285gr Oryx- is rather soft and not always due to uneven expansion true in it´s flight path within the animal.

PRVI 285gr at 100 for $23.99 Varmint style thin cups, ok to train with not othervise.

Lapua 285gr at 100 for $42.79- Perhaps the best non bonded bullet there is, will retain good weight and yield nice expansion as well as penetration.

New on the market is the Hornady 286 grain and Accubond 250 grain, new to me at least, I will try them as well for the fun of it.

/Chris

--- any experience with either of these?[/QUOTE]