THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cuz Brno nitro express 9.3x74 r opinions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cuz Brno nitro express 9.3x74 r opinions please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good day ladies and gentlemen:

I have an opportunity to purchase, for $2700.00 Canadian, a brand new, in the box, CZ Brno Express double rifle in 9.3x74r with quick detach scope mount.

I know nothing about these rifles and was hoping the forum might have information, good or bad about this dr.

I own a couple of sxs but, have been enamoured with the o/u.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Carpediem4570

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I see there is only one trigger. Is there a way to select which barrel fires first?

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
These are nice rifles; CZ, not cuz.
9.3x74R is a fantastic round and everyone here has one or 5. .
I killed a bear in Ontario with one and it fall down and kicked.
I don't think you can select which barrel fires first; no need to.
If you already have SXS DRs, then you realize that over and under DRs are a totally different animal than a side by side; which is why they are Much cheaper.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Cuz was a typo.

I realize the Brno is an entry level rifle. Having used shotguns in o/u and sxs configuration, I assume the same principles apply to dr’s?

Like the single trigger shotguns, I assume there would be a selector switch to change barrels?

This express rifle just looks like a fun gun to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a SzS in that caliber. Love it for what it is. It's a betwixt and between caliber. Great cat gun. Great for heavy plains game like eland. A little light for buffalo and not legal in most places, but it would work. Never had an O/U double rifle.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Some 10+ years ago I had some correspondence with a fellow poster from Canada. Apparently, he was the only one then with a new CZ double in Canada and thus the "expert" in the field. I have misplaced his name and his nick but I am sure if he reads this he will recognise himself and chime in!

I have no personal experience with the CZ/Brno but as said: robust guns, quite reliable. They are not so hand made as they were in the past decades when handicraft cost nothing in CZ (then Czechoslovakia). Today, they are more machine-made and put together with screws than they used to be. The main thing is, they are less handicrafted.

As for a 9,3 I suggest you try to test shoot it first. Some are kickers if they do not fit you despite the 9,3 being mild.

A big plus is the scope mount as it has sometimes been a problem.

I'd say at CAD 2700 the price is right.
Hard to wrong with this (if it is shootable for you).

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lars:

The rifle in question was purchased in 2018 and sat in this fellows gun safe all that time. It is unfixed so testing it out will probably be a no-go.

I notice merkel produces an o/u dr in 9.3x74r in the model 323. Does anyone have experience with this model 323?

I really like the merke. I wonder how the 323 compares to the Brno express rifle?

I see a new dr in my future. I must have rocks in my head. It’s an addiction…lol.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Regarding the previous post, it is not unfixed, it is un-fired. Damn spell cheque.lol.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Cuz was a typo.

Like the single trigger shotguns, I assume there would be a selector switch to change barrels?

As dpcd said, no need for a barrel selector. Shotguns have selectors to enable the different choked barrels to be selected to fire first but O/U rifles are not choked. If wanting to load say a soft for the first shot and a solid for follow up in a double rifle then just load according to which barrel fires first.
Usually with O/U shotguns or rifles the bottom barrel should be the one that is fired first as the recoil is lower and straighter on the shoulder helping to lower muzzle flip and enabling quicker acquisition of the target for a second shot.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree a rifle that doesn't fit can "kick", but have a hard time imagining any 9.3 kicking unless it's too short and the scope cuts you.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the BRNO Super Express', in 9.3 and .375, picked up early 80's.
Both have double triggers and are easy shooting rifles but I prefer SXS so they've languished in the racks. Nothing "super fancy", but great "tool" rifles that you wouldn't fear of putting a scratch on.
Someday I should peddle them off!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 56 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I notice merkel produces an o/u dr in 9.3x74r in the model 323. Does anyone have experience with this model 323?

I really like the merke. I wonder how the 323 compares to the Brno express rifle?

Kinda sorta.... I have two Merkel 303 shotguns.
They're top of the line hand made doubles w/ detachable sidelocks. Initially, during the DDR years, they were made for the Party elite and export.
So how does it compare to the Brno? "Favourably" I'd say.
The price in 2018 was 27 000 € w/o extras (no typo).
So maybe look at Merkel's other products...? The B3 perhaps.
I have none of them but my friend's a keen Merkel fan and speaks highly. Apparently, some rust and others don't (unless Merkel's improved) but they honor the warranty.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comments.

Lars, I’ve been looking at the b3 but can’t seem to find any on the used market. Regarding your comment about rust, what did you mean merkel is honouring their warranty?

I am a big fan of merkel. I have several of their shotguns and a sxs dr, 141ae in 9.3x74R. I would very much like to round out the collection with an o/u dr.
Kind regards,

Max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lars, I’ve been looking at the b3 but can’t seem to find any on the used market. Regarding your comment about rust, what did you mean merkel is honouring their warranty?

Meaning that if there are issues, Merkel will fix it. They are keen on their good reputation.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot