THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    9.3x74R Double with New Scope Mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R Double with New Scope Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted
I just got my 9.3x74R Krieghoff Classic back from the install of a pivot mount scope. I topped it with a Kahles 1.5-6 (30mm) scope.

So far, using Norma factory 286 Oryx loads, it shoots both barrels to within 1" (no crossing) at 100 yards.

I'm pleased.

Now, I'd like to work up a load that regulates as well using the 286 Northfork 9.3, 286 grain bullets. I've never used the Northforks, but I've heard so many good things about them I'd love to get them to shoot in my rifle.

Any loading suggestions out there?

Thanks

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapius that I have been loading 270 grain Speers in. They are great for general purpose shooting since they only cost $14/50. I am loading 56 grains of IMR4064 (check the Speer loading manual, my recollection is that that load is half way between minimum load and max load) and getting approximately 2350 fps with good accuracy. Not sure how they perform on animals, but the Speers are hell on waterjugs!

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Which NFs are you considering? It is my understanding that the softs are not a driving band design and that with the solid copper shank you should not load them in a double.

If I am wrong it will not be the first time today!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
The ones I have on my reloading bench are banded.

My conversations with them indicate their .366 solids are not banded and he did not recommend them in a double rifle.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Looking at the bullet cutaway there is a solid section ahead of the grooves which appears caliber diameter. Between that and the large number of grooves I would check with someone like 500Grains on whether they act as a driving band bullet or not.

Of course the design gets improved over time so the picture may be off.

Do not misunderstand me, I am a big fan of the NF bullets.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about north fork..... but i'll bet norma has a lot more experience and knowledge than they do.

besides - if the norma shoots so great why not try it out on some critter to judge its effectiveness.

putting the wrong bullet through your double can put a nice expansion ring where you can proudly show it off for all to see.

these "monolithic" solids have wrecked holland & holland bbls - what do you think it might do to your chapius ?

why waste your time experimenting - stay with a winner !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have only a little experience with the Oryx but it has worked fine in my 9.3x74R, but it was not much of a test.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wave Just as something to factor in, what about www.gscustom.co.za for your bullet of choice?

True driving band design and, they insist that their bullet is safe for doubles.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote