THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is this a deal, Merkel dbl.?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a deal, Merkel dbl.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is my 1st post on the dbl. forum. I don't own a DR, and am not too knowledgeable on them. I was looking around on gunbroker, and ran into this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=158119829

To my uneducated eye, this looks like a deal! Yes/no? Just wanting to learn something here.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
It is a deal, Merkel doubles usually cost more..

EXCEPT for "sometimes the ejectors don't work"

At least the seller is honest. I say keep walking...JMHO

If you want a good double in 9.3x74r and your budget is less than 5K look at getting a Chapuis.

I got one a year ago and I don't regret it for a minute.

PM me for info on Chapui doubles if you are seriously interested.

Good Luck

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Somone got a screaming deal that should be bragged about for years to come!

This rifle went out the door for $3000. Even with the ejector problems it was a steal!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A new one like that retails well over 3 times that amount, the beauty on a high end gun is to have it fixed fairly easy, I would have jumped on that myself

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have bought that DR in a heartbeat and sent it directly to Merkel in Alabama. They probably would have fixed it for free. My friend sent his to them and they could not fix it so they sent him a new gun and upgraded him. He is delighted.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boys, when I posted the link this AM, the gun was still up for sale. Wonder if someone lurking here, snatched the deal? Big Grin

Mad Dog

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I actually was hopeing that you snagged it MD>

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, woulda loved to except for 1 small thing...MONEY! Big Grin

Mad Dog

One of Us
Picture of Mafunyane
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Friend off mine is looking for a double under $9 000.00 witch one would you suggest.He was looking at Krighoff but they are too expensive here in South Africa.

Is Chapuis a good double rifle?
He is looking for a double in .500 nitro

All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!!

Posts: 53 | Location: Limpopo province South Africa | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Well Mad Dog (may I call you Bird Dog?), I couldn't help myself. Now let's see if I get the gun or get burned.

I left a voice mail and sent an email to the seller, Javier, in Miami. Called the home number and a woman who didn't speak English hung up on me 3x.

In my email I proposed that I send the cashiers check (made out to the seller) to the FFL dealer who will be shipping the gun.

I got burned a couple years ago on a Zeiss scope I never saw.

I'll keep you posted.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
WOW......screaming deal.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Mr Soter,
If you're the LUCKY DOG... I'd grab the next plane south and camp out on his door step with a translator to assist..
Congratulations!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Well Mad Dog (may I call you Bird Dog?), I couldn't help myself. Now let's see if I get the gun or get burned.

I left a voice mail and sent an email to the seller, Javier, in Miami. Called the home number and a woman who didn't speak English hung up on me 3x.

In my email I proposed that I send the cashiers check (made out to the seller) to the FFL dealer who will be shipping the gun.

I got burned a couple years ago on a Zeiss scope I never saw.

I'll keep you posted.

Don

Don, you made a good buy there! If I didn't already have two double rifles chambered for 9.3X74R one of them a 140E Merkel I would have bought it myself, and almost did anyway. I have had my 140E for 9 yrs, and it is a shooter, and has become my favorite double rifle under .400 cal. The ejectors will likely be an easy fix, and the 140E.1 is no longer available new! These little rifles have become a a highly sought after rifles, especially chambered for the 9.3X74R. Nobody would get mine for even $10K much less $3K!

............congratulations beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Donald, hope your deal works! Glad to have been a "bird dog" for one of the boys here on AR thumb

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, looks like a good buy.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
smoking deal, they are very good rifles indeed. congratulations.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!

Just got back home. Seller will receive cashiers check and FFL by noon tomorrow.

After I lick the honey off, it will go to Herbert at GSI to fix the ejectors and install Recknagel bases where the rib was drilled and tapped.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Do some thinking about asking the seller about the bases he had on there... It might be worth your while.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also consider having a local sherrif or other law enforcement person do an FBI data base search to verify that the rifle isn't listed as stolen!!
Always a good plan when you get above $1000

Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to FBI NCIC:

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great deal! The ejectors are a modified Southgate system. They are very easy to work on. We have done a few in our shop. I would'nt be suprised if it's a very simple repair.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don,
Look at it this way, worse comes to worse, you have a very nice extracter rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote