THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Middle Finger vs. Trigger Gaurd & Recoil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Middle Finger vs. Trigger Gaurd & Recoil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I have heard from a number of people that it's not uncommon for a double's trigger gaurd to run into your middle finger causing pain and flinching over time. Here's my thing. A year ago today I had NEVER shot a double rifle. Today I have shot from .30-06 to 4 bore doubles in a variety of cartridges at almost every point along the way for litterally hundreds of shots! Two days ago was the first time EVER the trigger gaurd touched my middle finger. What finally did it was a 4 bore with full power loads. I know how many 4 bores are out there and there aren't many, so my question is: Why is this so common? I don't get it. Not being a butt I just really don't understand. Perhaps if we can explain this other people can avoid having it happen. Is it that shooting form is poor? LOP is too short? I've shot .450s with LOP at least .5" too short without problems, so I'd imagine it would need to be really short! Stock design? Trigger guard design?????????? I'm not getting it. Thoughts?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few people experience this and I've spoken with a few stockers about it. I believe it's a combination of a heavy recoiling rifle, a stock with the grip dimensions wrong for the shooter, improper shooting form and a guy with short sausage fingers.

My apologies to those with short sausage fingers!

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has happened to me in the past and recoil was not part of the problem in my situation.
I had a Searcy some years back in 470 N.E. that weighed in at 10.5 lbs with LOP of 14 5/8 that used to slap my finger against the trigger guard 90% of the time no matter how I gripped it. I now own a Heym in 500 N.E. that weighs 10.3 lbs w/LOP of 15 1/8 that does not recoil into my middle finger. Grip size on the Searcy was also larger than the Heym I have at this time so too short LOP and grip size were the issues behind the middle finger/trigger guard recoil slap. So my experience falls within the parameters of what 470Evans states above except recoil was not the issue.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is caused by fit and LOP. I have shot doubles all my life and the only time this happened to me was with a 470 I owned that just didn't fit me and the LOP was a little short. Every time I shot it I had a bloody knuckle after the first shot. I have never had this happen with my other 470, 500 and 577.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, I have a sxs shotgun I like but will hit my middle finger almost every time I shoot it even though the stock is the same as other guns I have and shoot with no problem. I suspect the shape of the triggerguard on this gun is the issue but not 100% sure of that.
One solution might be a rubber bumper behind the guard. Garbi shotguns come from the factory with them.
http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/s...9&action=show_detail
http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/s...8&action=show_detail
or CSM also has them
http://www.csmcspecials.com/Tr...Corners_p/corner.htm

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been haveng the problem for a while now. It started with my Merkel 470. I thought it was to much gun but It was not. It was nerve damage caused by ignoring carpual tunnel and tendennitis in my right hand. I worked on LOP etc and got some relief. When it started happening with my 16 ga double I went to the DR.

I had a opperation on both wrist and was better for a while, I could shoot my double with out pain. It started coming back and the tendenitis got worse. My merkel would slide in my hand again.

I had orderd a ph action in 505. Even though I was not sure I would be able to shoot it I built it any way. To my surprise I did not have proplems with it.

At the last shoot and hoot I shot a full house 600 gr load in a 500 Nitro (A Ca. Rigby). I had no problems again, and it was a pleasre to shoot. Both grips were larger in dia than my Merkel and had palm swells.

I picked up a Chapruis in 470 , I slides a little but not enough to cause pain, the grip could be a hair fatter.

Gun fit, but more importantly hand strength and the ability to close your hand tight enough around the grip is what allows you to hang on. If your hands are healthy you can make them stronger, If you have nerve damage it does not mamater how strong you are, your grip will fail at some point.

If you are haveing numbness or weakness in your hand have it looked at!!!!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Brett,
I bought several of the slip on rubber guards from Kebco a bit ago. I'll let you try it out and see if it'll work. For some reason the Sauer 450 doesn't hit but the Searcy 450 makes my finger swell up after a session at the range. The Hollis is fine also. No problems..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I "dumped" that Searcy at the right time!!!!!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! It probably ran away from home...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen with guns fitted with soft recoil pads. I think the gun is slipping back within the hands instead of moving with the body.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think about this. If the trigger gaurd doesn't touch your finger before you fire, it has to mean that that the gun is moving back to hit your finger. If your hand moves back with the pistol grip the guard can't touch you. Get a grip folks!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use to have the same problem until I started squeezing a tennis ball and made a conscious effort to grip the double tighter. Don’t have a problem anymore. But we’ll see if it creeps back up when I receive my 577 I have on order.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Think about this. If the trigger gaurd doesn't touch your finger before you fire, it has to mean that that the gun is moving back to hit your finger. If your hand moves back with the pistol grip the guard can't touch you. Get a grip folks!

465H&H

Very true. Aside from working out I work with my hands all day and my grip strength is signifigant. Perhaps that's why I didn't have a problem until I got to something with massive recoil.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Brett,
I bought several of the slip on rubber guards from Kebco a bit ago. I'll let you try it out and see if it'll work. For some reason the Sauer 450 doesn't hit but the Searcy 450 makes my finger swell up after a session at the range. The Hollis is fine also. No problems..

Thanks, but the ONLY time it's been a problem was with Cal's 4 bore and ONLY with full power loads. I don't plan on shooting tons of them! Eeker Big Grin Luckily it was only coming back a little and tapping me on the middle finger.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I have been haveng the problem for a while now. It started with my Merkel 470. I thought it was to much gun but It was not. It was nerve damage caused by ignoring carpual tunnel and tendennitis in my right hand. I worked on LOP etc and got some relief. When it started happening with my 16 ga double I went to the DR.

I had a opperation on both wrist and was better for a while, I could shoot my double with out pain. It started coming back and the tendenitis got worse. My merkel would slide in my hand again.

I had orderd a ph action in 505. Even though I was not sure I would be able to shoot it I built it any way. To my surprise I did not have proplems with it.

At the last shoot and hoot I shot a full house 600 gr load in a 500 Nitro (A Ca. Rigby). I had no problems again, and it was a pleasre to shoot. Both grips were larger in dia than my Merkel and had palm swells.

I picked up a Chapruis in 470 , I slides a little but not enough to cause pain, the grip could be a hair fatter.

Gun fit, but more importantly hand strength and the ability to close your hand tight enough around the grip is what allows you to hang on. If your hands are healthy you can make them stronger, If you have nerve damage it does not mamater how strong you are, your grip will fail at some point.

If you are haveing numbness or weakness in your hand have it looked at!!!!

JD

JD,

That really makes a lot of sense. It seems grip strength is everything as long as the gun is made propperly and fits reasonably well.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I use to have the same problem until I started squeezing a tennis ball and made a conscious effort to grip the double tighter. Don’t have a problem anymore. But we’ll see if it creeps back up when I receive my 577 I have on order.

Mac

Sounds like a good plan for those having trouble. Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen I have seen lots of guys who got banged in the middle finger when the double was chambered for a sharp recoil. At first I thought the happening was more prevelent with the sharp recoil. I find now that it is a combination of things.

I have found, over the years, that it is mostly fit of the pistol grip to the shooter's hand, along with a too soft recoil pad.

I find the exact opposite of 470Evans. I find the not necessarily fat fingers, but short fingers seems to avoid the trigger guard "BITE" because it forces the shooter to reach hard for the front trigger, causeing him to push the middle finger hard against the back of the trigger guard. This finger already in hard contact with the back of the guard has a tendency to move with the guard under recoil, rather that haveing the trigger guard coming back to "HIT" the middle finger.

I truley believe it is a combination of how tight the grip is, the shape of the trigger guard, the softness of the recoil pad, the shooter not pressing his middle finger tight against the back of the trigger guard, and a tight grip on the grip, so the trigger guard cannot jump back into the finger.

I shoot the same rifle JD had the problem with, but I have no such problem. I think because I push my middle finger up tight against the back of the trigger guard, and my fingers are not fat but are fairly short that I suppose forced me to have to reach for the front trigger. The only place it seems to get me on occasion is with a very quick snap shot, not letting me get a proper hold on the grip. If the guard is already against the middle firner when the trigger is pulled it can't jump to your finger.

Some guys seem to have a real porblem with this, but only very rarely for me, and that is not limited to just one or two double rifles. I have shot probably over 100 different double rifles in my life, and it simply doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but I believe it is simply the way I hold the rifle, nothing more.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I feel it is a less than tight grip on the stock.
Brett: You can shoot my 4 as much as you like. Bring your FFg as you will only get 16 shots to the pound.
Mike: Bring some of the rubber guards when you touch off that new .600 single of yours that weighs only 11 pounds. With 160 grains of 4831 and a 900-grain slug you will get a good thump.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While no doubt all of the things mentioned above can be a factor, I think 465 has a good thought.

I think some people might be griping hard enough, but are relaxing their grip too quick after firing.

Either as a reaction to recoil or maybe trying to shift to the second trigger a little too quick, or to "work the action", be it a bolt or a top lever.

The reason one gun might bang your finger and another not is because of the demensional differences between the tow guns as mentioned in the above posts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Guess I "dumped" that Searcy at the right time!!!!!

By the time I shoot 20-30 each out of 3 different 450's my grip might be getting a tad loose. I can grip lower on the Searcy's PG and not have the soreness. I haven't gotten out to see if Kebco's 'rubber baby buggy bumopers' will help alot.
I will have one on the 600 when it hits the range soon.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was having middle finger bash until I learned how to grip a double. Don't massage the fore end grip it! Once I started doing that all of my middle finger episodes disappeared.

Most importantly don't try and pinch a splinter forend. Wrap your finger around the barrel using the splinter as a palm swell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mac, I think it is mainly a misfit of the shooter's hand to the pistol grip area.

If you have small hands, in order to reach the front trigger your hand is 'rotated' forward and the meat of your palm is not quite directly behind the pistol grip part of the stock. No problem with a 30-06. Add a bit or recoil, a loose grip, and a wide trigger guard and it can be another story.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Don't massage the fore end grip it! Once I started doing that all of my middle finger episodes disappeared.

Most importantly don't try and pinch a splinter forend. Wrap your finger around the barrel using the splinter as a palm swell.

Amen!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also agree that a thick and too soft of a recoil pad does't help. Some times it seems that the merkel gets a running staart at me.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro