New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym, sweet Heym...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just came back from Europe where I could finally lay my sweaty fingers on my new Heym - which actually arrived six months ago (and I'll still have to wait till next month to get it home in Africa, "bureaucracy" being enforced to its ultimate pinnacle around here!).

It's an 88B Safari in 450/400 3", with a Swarovski Z6i EE 1-6x24 in claw mounts, custom peep sight, and folding leaf.

Closed my eyes, shouldered, opened: smack on sight. Excellent finish, outstanding fit of the parts, nice wood, simple classic lines that do not give into the Teutonic tendency for Baroque looks, good balance, a pleasure to shoot... Looks to me like I won't need much other rifle for a while!

On personal request, I had asked the stock to fit for scope sighting (sacrilege, but I don't care. And wait for the end of the story...). And I had also asked for a rear peep.

Now, when I said above "closed eyes, shouldered, on sight", that was with the peep! And the same thing happened with the scope set on 1...

Obviously Heym did some thinking on their own and they provided a peep sight that fits in the claw mount, higher above the rib than usual so there is minimal difference in line of sight between scope and iron sights, then they fitted a nifty higher front sight that dovetails in the standard front sight slot, easily removed by pushing a spring-loaded plunger if one wishes to use the included standard front sight and folding leaf! I just need to drill the peep aperture (too small for my taste - probably great at the range, but not fast enough) to have a true "ghost ring". Perfect for my taste, and I'll see if that works in the field as well as I hope. If it does work, I'll probably screw in a peep directly behind the rear claw mount, so that I don't need to remove it to fit the scope.

The Swarovski has an illuminated circle dot. Look as I could, I couldn't find a fault to it: true 1 magnification, long eye-relief, low mounting due to the straight tube, and the circle dot is simply amazing. Greatest scope I've seen in a long time, must be as fast as anything else this side of a laser sight!

I selected the 450/400 because it punches holes big enough to handle anything I may want to shoot (I'm not in the business of backing up other people's mistakes), and comfortable enough to shoot so that I can pump as many rounds through it as I need to get really proficient with it. I've never seen much wisdom in carrying a hand cannon that gets my tooth fillings thrown out from the wrong end of my digestive tract anytime I have a two-rounds session: can't see the fun in it, and if I don't have fun, why am I shooting???

Now just waiting to take it for a walkabout in the bush...

PS.- OK, OK, I know... Pictures. They'll come!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Yes,
pics my man pics,I wanna see this setup,I am in the process of ordering one myself.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, OK, I know... Pictures.

thumb I want to see the peep sight, sounds nice.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's something I'd like to see. Been thinking about a peep for a double due to my old eyes.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Now that's something I'd like to see. Been thinking about a peep for a double due to my old eyes.

I'm not there yet, but I know its coming. Soon enough that I've been thinking of how to do it when it becomes a nessecity.

Looking forward to pics!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote