THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Recoil pad for extending LOP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad for extending LOP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
I'm about 6' 5" (on a good day). On my double I tend to whack my mouth with my trigger hand when using the rear trigger.

I'd rather not modify the stock. Anyone suggest a lace on type recoil pad or other that would allow me to add about a half an inch of LOP?

Thanks!
-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can go to Cabela's, Bass Pro, Midway, Midsouth, Murray Leather, etc, and find what you are looking for. Some of the lace-on's come with foam inserts to adjust the LOP, others are whatever they are when made. You can find them from relatively inexpensive (~$20 or so) to double that. You also can make your own without too much trouble if you have leather working experience. DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, it sounds like if you are whacking your nose using your rear trigger your LOP needs to be extended longer than .5 inches. I would look at adding an inch. I am 6 feet tall at 180 lbs with long arms and my LOP is 15 1/4 LOP on my doubles. If that's the case, use a slip on, ugly but effective.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mid way sells spacers to go between the stock and pad.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve;

Use spacers to get correct LOP. Then cover pad and spacers with a leather cover. It makes for a nice neat appearence.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i have a galco slip on recoil pad... i use it on my #1 .458... the factory stock seems a little too short on it...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
i have a galco slip on recoil pad... i use it on my #1 .458... the factory stock seems a little too short on it...

Called Murray's and they suggested Galco. Is it possible for the velcro to rub the finish the way its attached?

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, all slip on or lace on or velcro on pads will wear the finish. I haven't tried the Galco specifically though.

What I suggest is using whatever cheap slip on your find, and enough casrd board or whatever to determine the length of pull that you find comfortable and easier to shoot while mounting well and not hanging up on your shirt...

Then have a Silvers (traditional) or other "permanent" pad added. IIRC, Silvers makes pads - or your gunsmith can shape them to be - from 1/2" to 1 1/2".

IMO, anything more than an inch looks funny, but a good gunsmith familiar with double rifles or shotguns can add a wood spacer in front of a 1" pad. Done well, you have to look twice to catch the spacer.

JJ or Griffin & Howe can do the spacer or pad work. Your local good smith can do just the pad, I'd bet.

Both can leather cover the pad as well. I like the leather covered pads myself. Pigskin is the traditional material for a Brit gun.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Don't you find those "dern" things slip

about on your shoulder. I find them to

be slick as a LIVE greased pig!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, no. I was suprised that I liked leather covered pads on rifles though. At first, a new one feels a little slippery on your shoulder but it goes away with only a little wear.

They are great on shotguns too.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Good idea, those leather, velcro-fastening, slip-on pads. thumb
No worries about marring a stock finish. They protect the stock finish where they cover it!

Here is what my Merkel buttstock looks like with Pachmayr Sporting Clays 1" Decelerator (14.5" LOP for front trigger, 13.5" for back trigger), and the ACTION and Galco leather (15" front and 14" rear trigger LOP). I also removed the nondetachable sling swivel loops (easily replaced) and can use any QD sling with Uncle Mikes Super Swivels:

The camera flash has lightened all the colors, for instance what appears to be medium gray in the Pachmayr pad is actually a darker charcoal gray. I dyed the ACTION pad a darker brown all over, as it comes as a two-tone pad with a lighter butt-end surface color. The Merkel wood is much darker in natural lighting.

Ye Olde Double Recoil Pad is the secret to my recoil tolerance, expert marksmanship, and intact retinas.

To heck with Pinky Finger Schwing!

The Sporting Clays pad is slick in mounting gun to shoulder, no snag, almost as good as a leather slip-on.

Of course you could do the wood spacers and a leather covered "Silver's Pad," but I prefer my setup. hillbilly

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing the photo of the Galco pad, I can confirm that I have used a similar pad on a gun, but not quite as nice a pad as the Galco appears to be.

You will see a wear line appear at the top of the pad over time. At least if you use the rifle much.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Rip the Galco looks good. I think I'll try one.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------