New
Find
Notify
Tools

standing shooting table
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This might be of help, for sighting in double rifles or any other big bore rifles.....while standing. Amazon has them for $100.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/pr...w-shooting-table.php

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have one of these. It will need some improvements to make it more stable. My wife and I agree it is not much better than our bog pod tripod. I am thinking of attaching a heavy piece of plywood to the plastic table top.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy mine. putting a couple of sand bags on top to shoot off of really settles it down

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat my set-up ..... I use our existing range table .... and ....

an empty 5 gal pail ... free
a couple blocks of wood .... free

and a used boat cushion .... $2

works great .... Smiler

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2138 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hard to beat my set-up ..... I use our existing range table .... and ....

an empty 5 gal pail ... free
a couple blocks of wood .... free

and a used boat cushion .... $2

works great .... Smiler

Buckstix that is great. Have been thinking how to do same with my bench.

Also like the look of the MTM but haven’t seen one here, but they are for sale at some gun shops.

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix, are those homemade targets?

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

My friend built this up for me to shoot my 470NE

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naki,
Now that's what I call a shooting table for big bores!! I would like a cut out and padded elbow rests..light metal and fiberglass tables are just too light for the big bores and poorly designed IMO..I don't want to stand behind a rested big bore rather to the side with my body turned from the waist..and my hand under the forend.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gunsmiths from Krieghoff used to test rifles at the local Pa state game land range, back when it was open.

They had a set up that allowed the rifle to be rested while standing. Rather simple, 2x10's, made into a box about 3ft long and 3ft high with a diagonal rack brace. they would clamp it to the edge of the shooting bench with a couple of c-clamps. leather sandbags went on top.
It allowed them to get a good two point rest under the barrels and action, but they could stand behind it and not get beat up so bad with the heavy caliber rifles as happens when you sit. And it was easy to transport and set up, and very sturdy if built right.

My first experience with a double rifle was a Krieghoff in 9.3x74 that the gunsmiths graciously allowed me to handle.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive taken a couple of 2x4s to our range at Jerome, nail one cross wise and the other to brace it, droped a heavy saddle blanket over to rest on..If your standing you can take a lot more recoil compared to sitting at a bench..I always keep a hand under forearm of a heavy kicker and let my body take the lick..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I made one by reducing the frame of a child's swing and upholstering the rest arms. However, it takes a bit of shooting time to set up, so I find a large cardboard box on top of the bench works nearly as well and the box can then be used as a target.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a heavy wood benchrest with adjustable pipe legs works best of all..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

posted Hide Post
A very compact portable standing rest is 2x large G clamps or slide clamps. On the range shed pole clamp one out front and high, the other facing back and lower, then lay a long sandbag over the 2 clamps. End result is to be a sandbag at about 30 or 40 degrees, for your forearm to rest on when standing and sighting.
This is not the perfect thing for load testing and grouping, but ok for basic practice, sight testing or adjustments.
Under recoil the gun jumps up and back, and this combo is just 3 small things and a roll of duct tape to hold the sandbag/s on better.
Ive used this for 456H&H double, and 500 Jeffery testing, as down on the bench too brutal.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've thought of making something like that, AusExpress, but wondered if, under the recoil of the barrel nearest the pole, it might swing out and hit the pole. Has this ever occurred with your rest?

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote