New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green reloading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to Snowwolfe, I have my reloading dies. I have an assortment of once fired branes and Hornaday brass. The reloading manuels (Hornaday, Branes, Hodgen) do not state if data is ok for a particular type of brass.

So, is the data from these sources brass dependent? Or is the mix match of brass ok?

I know that load data is bullet and primer dependent. In addition, everyone's brass is different, but is that difference a concern.

If I did not ask this clearly, I apologize.

Thank you all.

Posts: 11457 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The reloading data in the manuals is not specific as to a brand of brass (although they will indicate sometimes that a particular brand of brass was used in the load information for the caliber) . . . in other words, you can use the manual data to load Hornady, Barnes, Jamison, Bertram, Norma, Remington, whatever. That said, brass does vary. Competition shooters will not only use one type of brass, but will weigh each piece of brass to ensure consistency in the brass. For double rifles, that is a waste of time in my view. Use whatever manual you have and whatever brass you have, use the data for the bullet weight you have, stick a Federal 215 or 215M primer in it (for the NE chamberings) and go forth and prosper. Stated another way, if you have a Hornady manual and the loads are listed for Hornady brass, but you are using Jamison brass, no problem using the load data as published.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not found it to be an issue in big bore ammo.

Military cases are often substantially different than the commercial counterparts.

The official way to deal with it is to start at the minimums and work up each manufacturer's brass or different lot.

Also, each rifle is more of an issue than brand of brass, etc. some rifles are tighter, some are less, you just need to work up your load for each one.

Posts: 10830 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mjines and Crbutler:

Thank you both kindly.

Posts: 11457 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
500NE 3" brass will last almost forever if-

You partial size and anneal the neck (& trim ,of course)
I shot many hard cast gas checks from mine- zero leading

Think now I would use the poly "coated" number 2 alloys without the gas checks
Reports on these are very good and they are relatively inexpensive

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote