Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff Questions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I have a few questions for some of you who are more knowledgeable and up to date on things. I've been looking for some of that new Hornady 9.3x74R ammo. I see it advertised alot, but never can find it for sale. I ordered a box a few months ago on line from a store that said they sold it. However, after waiting for about two months, I called them to check on my order and was told they could not get it and I should order something else. Does anyone know where you can actually purchase some that ammo?

Second question: What's this about a new Krieghoff 450/400 double coming out??? I read it on one the posts on the boards. Is that really true? Does anyone know where I can read more about it? Does anyone know of an expected date of arrival and sale for these new guns?

Third Question: What type of ammo carrier do you guys use? Do you wear the ammo on your belt in one of those leather ammo carriers? Or do you have it on your gun stock in the type that fits the gun and holds ammo on one side or the other? Or do you just carry your ammo in your pocket? Do you wear a safari vest with ammo slots in it?

I hope these questions don't sound too stupid. I need advice from all of you who obviously know much more than I and have alot more experience in these areas.

Thanks for your time and your responses.

Take Care!

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

Some folks here use the lace on stock ammo carriers, most use belts. There is also a current thread on a wrist carrier.

Personally, I prefer a Murry's Leather 12 round belt with a two round Africase slide on it so that I can carry two soft points seperated from my solids.

I think this is important since I once unloaded my rifle after a long, thankfully fruitless, walk after elephants only to discover - to my absolute horror - that I'd accidently loaded a soft in one barrel. I check every cartridge going in the belt and also the rifle but must have forgotten or been distracted. That was the last day I ever loaded a soft point in my ammo belt's loops. With the two round slide the softs are seperate and on the opposite side of my body from the belt's loops. If I feel I might need, say, four softs then I put a single round in each pocket to prevent rattling and jingling. Africase now makes a three round slide that might be perfect.

I'm not the only moron to make the mistake. I shared camp for a couple of days with a hunter who "brained" and elephant with his 470 only to see it get back up. He and the PH, posing for photos, scrambled for rifles and put it down again for good. When they went to look at what happened with what seemed a perfect brain shot they discovered a 500gr Woodleigh soft from the hunter's 470 near the brain, stopped short of its target! (good reason for insurance shots!!)

Rich Tabor, a Zim PH that I have hunted with, loves his 470 Kreighoff, btw.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A couple options for good quality bullet holders are from;
www.murrayleather.com
www.jeffsoutfitters.com
www.hertage
and from "Trader Keith's" on 800-338-3146

One similar to my custom 12round 470NE belt.

The same as JPK, I also use a 2 round pouch for my couple softs when using .400CAL+.

On KREIGHOFF's Web sight it states that the 450/400 will be made in 08.

O

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And the purpose of the flaps are?

I forget the last time it rained on me in Zim. Big Grin

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
They keeps from scratchin the ol Merkly.
Shiny, bullet belts don't help hunters much. Nor does that metallic noise from bullets verse rifle Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just yanking your chain. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don't make us have to seperate you two!

Just my opine, but this is still the best/most economical rig around. Uncle Mikes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty that is right handy rig. I use something similar only with an old leather belt.

One thing that I do to keep from mixing up my solids from my softs is. I use two 6 round belt slide shell holders from Murray leather. I keep one loaded with only solids on the front right hand side of my belt.

I keep the other loaded with only softs but slide it around to the back so I have to make a concious effort to get to it. That way in the heat of battle the only easily accessible rounds are solids.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Will,
I figured you new the reason but had I had to jibber on anyway. Wink

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Will,
I figured you new the reason but had I had to jibber on anyway. Wink

The only way you could possibly use a cartridge belt with flaps and be able to reload quickly is to also use a wrist band cartridge holder,

or, alternatively, hold a couple rounds between your fingers, aka Capstick,

or, clamping down on a couple between your teeth, which would be the manly thing to do Smiler

or, .... well, that one was too gross. Smiler

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
You can roll back the flap and stick it behind the belt when time comes - it will actually even push the holder out more Wink

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Texas Huntco elastic belt holder similar to the Uncle Mikes Rusty has pictured. Very rigid and holds cartridges well. Just ordered two of the new three round holders from Heritage Arms. Alexo custom makes them for your particular cartridge. I'll post on their effectiveness when they arrive in two weeks or so.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Will,
another option is when closing in on the Game you can put Two between ones toes providing you are flexible and wear sandals Smiler .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DBLHUNTER.: The answer for your second question is in the Krieghoff´s web page ,look at Big Five specifications. They are announcing them for 2008.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry rounds of solids in two open topped holders on the rt side of the belt latch and 5 rnds of softs in a carrier with a covering flap on the left of the latch. If you are having a cat problem, you need softs, but when you are reaching down for a reload in a hurry you invaiably want the solids- and being rt handed those are the most accesible ones (but the flap over the softs makes sure there isn't a mistake in the heat of the moment)

Have an ammo carrier on the stock, just to hold the two rounds from the chambers when the rifle is in camp. Love my Krieghoff (500/416)

Also, colour code the primers - Red are solids and Blue are softs. Both W-R and Ken Stuart make silver coloured solid bullets (ken uses a tin coating, not sure what W-R uses) so that even in poor light when pulling extra rounds from the boxes you can instantly seperate softs from solids.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some clever guys who reload use brass cases for softs, and nickle plated ones for solids.

pretty clever these yankees !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had an elastic shell holder on my bolt action rifle I carried "softs" nose down in front and a couple of "solids" nose up in the rear with a couple of empty spaces between them/

It was easy to tell what you were getting without taking your eyes off of what was in front of you.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote