New
Find
Notify
Tools

shipping ouble rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best container to ship a double rifle that is safe and doesn't look like a gun case?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a casket? I would not worry about whether it looked like a gun case or not as long as it gets there without being ruined. The best cases are the Pelican brand and they don't cost an arm&leg. You could always ship the Pelican case inside a regular container of sorts if it worries you that much. Of course you are still obligated to tell the shipper what it is that you are sending and insuring. Just kidding about the casket idea.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion for any rifle or long gun, and a lot easier with a double, is to remove the barreled action from the stock, (or in the case of a double, take it apart) and securely wrap in bubble wrap, put in a hard case with plenty of foam padding, and then into a heavy duty cardboard box, with the hard case surrounded by more foam packing. May seem like overkill, but if you ruin the stock on your 10K custom rifle or up to 100K double, you will regret not doing it. IMHO

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some great semi custon case makers out there that will fit them to your gun's dimensions. I have a couple that are made out of heavy duty aluminum with lots of stiff foam inside and dividers. They are worth every penny if you travel a lot with expensive guns.

Cheers,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shipped mine in a double rifle case in two pieces (leaving the fore end attached to the barrrels.) I also used a heavy dose of bubble wrap on the rifle pieces as well as any voids left in the case. Then I wrapped the case in bubble wrap, put it in a shipping box, and insured the hell out of it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
I take the rifle apart. I wrap the barrels in bubble wrap. I wrap the stock in bubble wrap, I wrap the forearm in bubble wrap.

I then place the wrapped parts in a shorter box cushioned by shipping peanuts. Make sure there enough peanuts to be compressed by the box lid when it closes. I have done this on several occasions with no problems.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Ok, have a similar question:

I have a two rifle, Browning Travel Vault gun case. It is made of very thick, hard plastic, has locks and an air purge valve.

Inside there is a foam piece that you use as a template to cut out the foam so it fits the guns you are traveling with perfectly.

Next month I am bringing two rifles to Camp Cooley, both double rifles.

When I transport them, should I keep them together, or disassemble the barrels from the action and stock?

I don't want to mess up the guns.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
How about a casket? I would not worry about whether it looked like a gun case or not as long as it gets there without being ruined. The best cases are the Pelican brand and they don't cost an arm&leg. You could always ship the Pelican case inside a regular container of sorts if it worries you that much. Of course you are still obligated to tell the shipper what it is that you are sending and insuring. Just kidding about the casket idea.

Woody

Now there's an idea make rifle cases that look like caskets. Maybe everyone will think they are dog caskets instead of rifle cases. Maybe they will be more gentle with them.
If any of you with more funds than I manufacture these I want a percentage of everyone sold. Wink

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I take the rifle apart. I wrap the barrels in bubble wrap. I wrap the stock in bubble wrap, I wrap the forearm in bubble wrap.

I then place the wrapped parts in a shorter box cushioned by shipping peanuts. Make sure there enough peanuts to be compressed by the box lid when it closes. I have done this on several occasions with no problems.

That's exactly how I've done it in the past as well. Works like a charm.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Doc, I have the box that JJ shipped the Rodda back in if you need it. It was a box within a box and the gun was packed, broken down as Rusty described. Let me know if you want it. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a gun case shaped like a caskett and the name "Fido" stencilled or embossed on the top. I think theft would be the least of problems and it'll probably be treated better too.

I use an old SxS shotgun case and bubble wrap the forend and buttstock. Then this goes into a box with lots of peanuts keeping it in place and protecting it.

For a bolt gun, taking the bolt out is a good way to go. I like the idea of taking the barreled action out of the stock too.

If I am taking rifles with me I just use a Pelican case with the foam cut to fit. I wrap extra scope, or whatever, in tee shirts. Cleaning rods in the bottom of the case under the two foam layers. Shorter peices reduce the leverage that can be applied too them.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I am shipping the gun for some work and the smith specificly asked me to not ship it in long case. Appearantly he had one arrive in a U shape. He also asked that if possible not have it look gun like. The ideas are great. I am going to use a double gun metal case with bubble wrap inside. Then put that in a plain cardboard box.

Does anybody have a pet casket for sale.

Realy I know that they are insured but I'm always a little nervous putting that much $$$ in the hands of the shipping gorrilla's.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Ernest

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
I go to the local UPS box store and get my buddy James to wrap and pack the rifle parts. I then take that box and my prepaid FEDEX label to the local KINKOS and drop it off. I always send Priority Overnight Express

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pelican breakdown case is the real deal. Built like a tank.

I wrap the barrels and action in thin bubble pack and into the Pelican it goes. Even USPS hasn't been able to screw one up.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I have shipped mine to Butch, I do it through the post office and send it REGISTERED with out extra insurnace.

Everyone who touches the package must sign for it. It is the most secure way to send something of value. You don't need the extra insurance since it is being signed for every step of the way and it is kept in locked storage when not in actual transport.

Talk to your friendly P.O. employee for more information.

I will never send a gun via UPS. I have heard too many horror stories about them not paying the true value of anything lost/stolen. This may only happen on a limited basis, but I sleep better using registered mail. By the way, you need to use the special brown paper tape and seal ALL edges.

Good luck.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a great idea the last time I talked to my po they said that I have to have a Fl to ship through the po. Confused

I would rather use the po than ups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found four dog caskets on ebay, maximum inside length seems to be 23.5". Not too expensive tho.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I don't know that it looks any less like a gun case, but I reccomend the Pelican.

It has 3-layers of 1.5" foam.

A solid layer on the bottom.
A middle layer (cut to the profile of your gun)
A solid layer on the top.

As you can see, everything is completely surrounded by foam.

They Pelican has a lifetime (you break it - they replace it) warranty and are tougher than nails.

I put pad-locks on the case and ship it.

I ship via ups or fedex priority and insured. Knock-on-wood, I've never had a problem.

I've also considered USPS, but every time I'm there, I'm reminded of trying to get a drivers' license renewed... and then I ask myself: if something goes wrong with this shipment, would I rather deal with an efficient private shipper (as bad as they can be) or a gigantic and lethargic govt entity in sorting it out?

No offense to the mail staff, they just don't seem to be in a hurry for much of anything when I'm there just to buy stamps... much less trying to make a damage/loss claim.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the toughness fo the pelican case.My buddy drove his Cherokee over my pelican cased trapgun Eeker.The preassure created a vacum and the case was hard to open but there was no damage to the gun or case.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
els,

You do not have to have an FFL to ship long guns through the mail, only handguns.

Talk to someone in the know at your P.O. The only regulation that I am aware of for shipping your gun registered is the use of the proper tape and all seams / openings covered.

All the best.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam,
I have some reference to take to the PO. Next itme I will shit US POSTAL. I have talked to so many people about UPS who have had to fight for months and years with UPS to cover claims.. Their insurance is IMHO fraud of the worst kind.