THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Shooter to Double Rifles!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shooter to Double Rifles!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted
My step son and his lovely wife have been visiting us during the holidays from Ukraine. Today is their last day here so the women went $hopping and the men went shooting!
I taught him the basics about loading and had him do a few cast boolits by himself. Then we went to the local range to try them out.
He was an officer in the Army there so he was familiar with the basics of firearm safety and handleing of the rifles.

BUT... The AK-47 is NOT the same as touching off big doubles.
The "grin factor" went off the charts when he touched off the first pair (that he built)from my Searcy 450 NE. Then it went up a couple of steps when he shot the 600 NE! After that we stepped it down a few notches and he shot the Chapuis 9.3X74R and the 1870's Lyell 500 BPE. Then we finished it with the grand old 1880's Alex Henry 577/500 BPE.
He had fun but I know I enjoyed it much more.
I suspect that his shoulder will be tender for a few days but the memories will last much longer.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I don't know any DR types ! If I did I'd quickly be led down the path to addiction ! Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was an officer in the Army there so he was familiar with the basics of firearm safety and handleing of the rifles.

BUT... The AK-47 is NOT the same as touching off big doubles.

Mike in which nations army did he serve? Not trying to be a wise guy only that you mentioned the AK-47 which made me think he served in a foreign country?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Right.. He was in the Ukrainian Army. He's back in Kyiv (Kiev) now.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the case he is not 40plus he will have already used a AK 74 or later model (5,56x39) and not the AK 47 (7,62x29)