New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Makes a lefty .375 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I was going to order a VC in .375 H&H but Kebco told me not to go with a rimless cartridge with these rifles. Can only guess they do not eject well with the belted rounds.

So now I am back to square one and that is having a left handed .375 H&H double built for a price not exceeding $11,000. Anyone know who builds a lefty for my price range?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis???

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didnt know they did. Researched it after you and Mike mentioned it. Seems to be priced right as well.
Anyone own one?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I forget which flavor/brand but AkShooter has a 375 H&H DR. Give him a shout.

The 375 is just slightly more than your 9.3X74R.
I'd pass on that caliber IMO.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ak Shooter has a 338 Win Mag double rifle.
And it is a nice one...

But I recommend you take a look at a double in 9,3x74R.

If money is not a serious consideration then get a Heym.

If you are on a budget, get a Chapuis.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You're right Tony.. It is a 338.
Randy already has a nice Chapuis 9.3.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont have to sell me on a Chapuis 9,3 NE 450. Last years moose was shot offhand at 287 yards with the stock iron sights.
Since the Verney Carron rep told me to avoid the non rimmed cartridges in their rifles the Chapuis could be a good choice.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Randy I'm a little suspicious of the V&C rep.
I think I would take it a step further and contact the company and if possible talk to one of the gunmakers.

Remember a rep is a salesman and he may be just spouting off what he thinks is conventional wisdom. You might be better seved by rephrasing the question and tell him your going to buy a .375 double and if there is any reason why the V&C would not be as good as most.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Merkel yet. Here's one that looks a little nicer than most.

http://emporium.gsifirearms.co...t.asp?product_id=116

Everyone here has shot my Merkel and its still going strong and its older than all of us.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, my thoughts are if you have a good 9,3 double why do you "need" a 375 ???

I would jump to a 450/400.

A 9,3x74R and a 450/400 make a great pair.

I killed both my AK caribou with a 450/400 ironsighted double. Big Grin

I have taken deer and wild pigs in Texas, black bear in Montana, baboons, zebra, an assist on giraffe, cape buff, lion and bull elephant with it in Zimbabwe.

Heym can make you a great left hand 45o/400 3".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I dont "need" another double, lol. Have the bigger end covered with my 450 NE, small end covered with a couple of 06's.
No flies on the 450/400 for sure but I have a stash of .375 bullets that would be hard to shoot up in the next 10 years. Besides, kinda cool to have something a little different.

Agree with you Akshooter, but since Mike reminded me that Chapuis builds a .375 and they are about $3,500 cheaper than the VC it seems the logical way to go:

CHAPUIS PRICING

BROUSSE
Sculptured, reinforced, Anson receiver in French Grey or color case hardened- Double parallel under lug locking system- 24” barrels- Blitz-type double trigger battery- Quarter rib with 4 leaf express rear sight- Fine line English scroll engraving- Pistol grip stock with cheek piece- AA fancy Circassian Walnut- Recoil pad- Lengthened trigger bow and steel grip cap- Shipped with regulation target in a molded fitted case.

CALIBERS / WEIGHT /RETAIL PRICE
300 Win. Mag. / 4.2 Kg. / $7500
375 H&H / 4.2 Kg. / $7500
470 NE / 4.9 Kg. / $9500
416 Rigby / 4.9 Kg / $10500

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if that is the case, I can say I have shot a 375 H%H Chapuis double rifle and I liked it.

However, if money was no object I would get a Heym 375 H&H, with claw mounts of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK that gun at GSI looks nice! Do they not post prices?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really believe that a rimmed case is what you want in any make of break open rifle. The extraction/ejection system for a rimmed case gives far more purchase on the case than any rimless case system. I would tell you to look and compare a rimless system with a rimmed system and come to your own conclusion (any make of gun, they are all about the same).
Will V-C make a 375 H&H, the answer is yes if you really want it but I feel obligated to make you aware of how I feel and what the head of production at V-C also feels.
Also since you want a 375 bore, have you thought about the 375 Flanged Mag?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Akshooter:
Randy I'm a little suspicious of the V&C rep.
I think I would take it a step further and contact the company and if possible talk to one of the gunmakers.

Remember a rep is a salesman and he may be just spouting off what he thinks is conventional wisdom.

Wow! You certainly don't have to be suspicious of Ken at KEBCO.

He was doing no more than give Snowwolfe some very honest advice. Perhaps it's not what you want to hear, but double rifles should be made for flanged cartridges.

Any honest Rep or Gunmaker will tell you the same.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I have shot three different rifles built on non rimmed cases.
Two of them were the Remington Baikal doubles that people like to look down on and the other was Akshooters 338 Win Mag.
I never had any problems with extracting cases out of any of the rifles mentioned other than noticing the 06 cases were small. AKshooters .338 kicked em out as good as the Chapuis with ejectors on the 9,3.
Waiting to hear the final price on the Chapuis as we speak. Sometimes it is ok to think a little differently. Unless someone here has first hand experience owning a H&H and can tell me exactly what went wrong with their rifle it is a lot of heresay.

375 flanged is a great option if brass and dies are easy to get and ballistics are the same as the H&H. Are they? But then Chapuis doesnt make a 375 Flanged and they are running about $4,000 less than a VC at the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also import Chapuis and yes they will make a 375 Flanged in both a SXS and O/U.
Huntingtons has both brass and dies.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Donald Soter.

quote:
Wow! You certainly don't have to be suspicious of Ken at KEBCO.

He was doing no more than give Snowwolfe some very honest advice. Perhaps it's not what you want to hear, but double rifles should be made for flanged cartridges.

Originally posted by Kebco

Will V-C make a 375 H&H, the answer is yes if you really want it but I feel obligated to make you aware of how I feel and what the head of production at V-C also feels.
Also since you want a 375 bore, have you thought about the 375 Flanged Mag?

Any honest Rep or Gunmaker will tell you the same.

I don't question the honesty here at all I'm sure you both have conviction in your opinion.

Nobody has claimed that the extractors on rimmed cartridge guns arn't more robust I don't think you have to explane that to anyone here.

The question is are the extractors on break open guns chambered for rimmless and belted rimmless cartridges effective and reliable? The answer is yes they are.

In my collection I have break action guns chambered for rimmed cartridges, 8x57 jrs, 8x57 jr,7x57R, 6.5x57R. They all work perfectly and as stated by Kebco one glance and you can see how stout they are.

Having said that I'm not about to get rid of my guns of break open design that are chambered for rimless cartridges- 30-06,Drilling .222 bbf,and .338 double rifle because they work perfectly also.

I don't doubt that sometime 50 years ago (or earlier) gunmakers may have been having problems designing and perfecting the extractors for rimmless cartridges but it's 2010 and mankind has the technology for me to read this posting from my phone while sitting in my car. I think we have the technology to overcome any problems extracting rimmless cases.

Like myself many of the guys here have break open guns chambered for rimmless cases. What we contribute here is the testing grounds for all the rest of you. For my part I can say I have yet to see an extraction failure due to a rimmless case. Please others join in and if you have had or have seen problems then please share them. At that point I would reconsider my position should all these problems actully be out there.

Why don't I remember this question ever coming up on the handgun hunting boards. There sure are a lot of guys shooting encores and contenders. I really doubt that it is because Thompson Center makes better extractors than those on European double rifles.

To say that a gunmaker or rep is only being honest by saying break open guns should be chambered for rimmed cartridges implies that a gunmaker who dos'nt share your opinion is dishonest if he reccomends or builds one. I'm sure thats not what you could have meant since it would be an indictment on most of and the very top names in the industry.

Some guys just want a .222 or 30-06 or .338 or for that matter a .375. Are you so sure the system is so bad that you want to take that away from them?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Randy I see you posted while I was writing my post. I take it you did'nt make it up to Cals today ether. Have you shot the 450 yet?

Bob

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Bob, why don't you PM Randy or call im on the phone.

These forums are not for your personal love notes. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Donald I apologize for speaking to randy about a double rifle shooting event or about his 450 double rifle on the AR double rifle platform I'll try to stay on topic in the future.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Krieghoff makes a left handed double in 375H&H. Check out Cabela's Gun Library I think they have one. I will post a link if I see it.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
I also import Chapuis and yes they will make a 375 Flanged in both a SXS and O/U.
Huntingtons has both brass and dies.

Can you shoot me a PM with a price for the Chapuis with a left hand stock?
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Randy I see you posted while I was writing my post. I take it you did'nt make it up to Cals today ether. Have you shot the 450 yet?

Bob

I couldnt make it either. Sold a 4 wheeler yesterday and the buyer had to pick it up today. And no, never shot the 450 yet but will promise you it will lose it's cherry by the end of this weekSmiler
Bought a Valmet 412 and it is due in this week (another rimless stupid 30-06). Would like to give it a go as well.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The woods were echoing with the roar of all sorts of DRs today at Cals. Plan on it again for next Sunday!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, I know "Kebco". He is a good guy.

Also Dieter Krieghoff told me Personally that he would make me a 375 H&H if I insisted, but he Recommend I get a 9,3x74R or a 375 Flanged.

I think that a 9,3x74R is the best choice, everything considered, for a double rifle in this power range...

However I just might try a 375 H&H double if I ever get a chance, ie the $$$.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you mean the belted mag or flanged mag?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 H&H Belted Mag....

HE WHO DARES WINS...

DARE to be different.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Michael Jackson and Boy George dared to be different. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Michael Jackson and Boy George dared to be different. Big Grin

I am sure N E 450 No2 is not hoping to be THAT different!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We could have a double rifle shoot where all shooters have to wear a white glove! The moon walk while shooting and reloading might be an interesting, though somewhat dangerous, exercise!
Peter.