New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorgeous Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do yourself a favor and check out the Jeffery 500 for sale at Griffin & Howe's web site. It really appeals to me. I wonder if they'll take two dozen guns in trade? Merry Christmas!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

One of Paul Robert's modern one's, done superbly by the looks of things.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question. This pertains to the elephant just ahead of the trigger guard. Why would the engraver deliberatly not finish the lower trunk and right leg?? Maybe I should just appreciate it for whats it is...Art.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max-

I see what you mean.
Perhaps that trigger-plate is a replacement..?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun.

I saw it mid September when it first appeared on their site. Saw it in the flesh at the Vintagers a few days later.

I believe this to be a Famars gun made for Paul Roberts and proved in England.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to me!

(I wish)

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beauty!!
I wouldn't have any problem adding that one to the vault. Great looking gun (other than that unfinished ele trunk!)

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
I have a question. This pertains to the elephant just ahead of the trigger guard. Why would the engraver deliberatly not finish the lower trunk and right leg?? Maybe I should just appreciate it for whats it is...Art.

That is odd. You can see that they are there, but they are missing the finish detail.

From the pictures the metal to wood fit is not up to the standard I would expect of a top maker. Did anyone else notice this?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

That is odd. You can see that they are there, but they are missing the finish detail.

From the pictures the metal to wood fit is not up to the standard I would expect of a top maker. Did anyone else notice this?

Just have them send it to me. I'll gladly lower my standards rotflmo

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMO you're right, especially on the fore-end along the barrel channel and release lever - hopefully the price reflects the imperfections. That said though, it's chambered for the right cartridge. Smiler

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed about the woodwork. But the detail in the engraving could be a lighting issue or the blacking worn away from the trigger guard portion from being slightly higer than the receiver.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one fine looking rifle!! I wish it was mine.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had that rifle in my hands at G&H in Bernardsville. It is on consignment, so trades are out. Too bad...I'd give up a lot of "stuff" to be toting that this season!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I've had that rifle in my hands at G&H in Bernardsville. It is on consignment, so trades are out. Too bad...I'd give up a lot of "stuff" to be toting that this season!

Just because its on consignment doesn't mean they wont trade, I do deals all the time with Chapman like that. You just need to trade sellable merchandise of similar stature and they will pay out the difference to the consigner..

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinner, Paul's been inundated with estate guns and others wanting to sell to G&H lately, due to the economy, I would guess. The timing for trades is not good right now, but cash is king to get some real bargains out there.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote