THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .500/.465 3-1/4" Nitro Express brass & solids wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500/.465 3-1/4" Nitro Express brass & solids wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for some .500/.465 3 1/4" Nitro Express brass and solid bullets.

I purchased a lovely old 1913 Holland & Holland 500/465 at DSC this year. Mike Jines loaned me a box of loaded ammo. JJ Perodeau machined dove tails for a red dot on it and checked the regulation ... all good.

I've checked Safari Arms and Superior Ammo, no luck. The only place that I could find brass or bullets was in Australia.

Thanks,
Jay

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I understand that this fellow, who used to work for the James Julia auction house, is now the US agent for Kynoch ammunition:

Foxtrot LLC - Francis Lombardi

Might be worth a try.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any photos?

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably know this, but brass can easily be made from .470 NE. I have three friends that shoot H&H Royals in .500/465 NE and they all use Norma, Federal or Hornady brass. They all report that the Hornady cases lasts the longest.

If you are after brass with the proper headstamp, it's going to be Bertram or nothing. The new Kynoch/Kynamco stuff uses Bertram brass as well, just rebranded to "Kynoch". Bruce has an outlet/agent in the US and his cases should be available from there, as will ordinary cup-and-core bullets for paper punching.

I'm not sure what the availability for Woodleigh Hydro bullets is like in the US. I would use them for solids. I know they are still in production, the only question is whether they are available in the US. It's likely to be a while before Woodleigh softs is going to be available (for the .400/465, in any event) and steel-jacket solids probably won't be made again. The Hydro's are much softer on barrels in any event and they certainly work as advertised.

Posts: 390 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh Bullets 465 Nitro Express (468 Diameter) 480 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50
2 boxes, 1 unopened and one with 49 bullets.
$98.99 x 2 = $197.98 plus shipping.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...010848413?pid=307316

Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid Bullets 465 Nitro Express (468 Diameter) 480 Grain bags of 10
4 unopened bags, Green capped.
$42.99 x 4 = $171.96 plus shipping.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...010845368?pid=147202

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles of that vintage I was recommended to use the Hydros rather the fmj solids.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Rifles of that vintage I was recommended to use the Hydros rather the fmj solids.

Absolutely without any doubt whatsoever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all of the responses. I am looking for at least 20 rounds with the proper head stamp for my Zambian Ele hunt this year. I'll try and upload a pic of my double tomorrow.

Jgrabow, PM sent.

quote:

I understand that this fellow, who used to work for the James Julia auction house, is now the US agent for Kynoch ammunition:

Foxtrot LLC - Francis Lombardi

Thanks Mike, I'll check into it.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is a performance difference between the capped vs non-capped versions of the Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid Bullets. Anybody have experience using both on game? Since Jay will be shooting them from a double and not a bolt action rifle I'm thinking it would be a good idea to remove the caps.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
I wonder if there is a performance difference between the capped vs non-capped versions of the Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid Bullets. Anybody have experience using both on game? Since Jay will be shooting them from a double and not a bolt action rifle I'm thinking it would be a good idea to remove the caps.

None. The caps are simply for allowing them to feed in bolt-action rifles. If used in a double, it wouldn't be an issue at all to take the caps off.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The green plastic caps on the HSS bullets are not there to assist starting expansion as most plastic tips on other bullets are, as identified they are there to assist feeding in bolt action rifles.

I have heard someone complaining that the caps can come off the bullets just in general handling, in and out of magazines etc. This could be a valid reason for removing them from HSS bullets for use in double rifles, I imagine you wouldn't want a stray plastic cap dropping down into the DR action when hurriedly reloading after taking a shot on dangerous game Eeker

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just called Mr. Lombardi and ordered some Kynoch .275 Rigby ammunition loaded by them with 140 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

Pricy, but .275 Rigby ammunition is scarcer than a politician's virtue these days. All he had in stock were two boxes of 5 rounds each and I bought them both.

Mr. Lombardi himself answered his phone; we did the deal with a credit card payment; and three days later I had the ammunition.

Good guy.

He did say that Kynoch are going all out making ammo on military contracts for the Ukrainian armed forces and that they are not making much, if any, commercial ammo in the meantime.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are the pictures? Also, let us know if you get the HSS bullets to regulate in your double.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I've got quite a few of the BELL made (for Holland and Holland) cartridges.
I wouldn't use the steel jacketed solids in a vintage rifle but they could easily be pulled down and reloaded and you would have the correct headstamp for your trip.

PM me and we can see if any of these will work.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I pulled a couple bullets and they look like steel jackets, lead core, copper plated and grooved in a similar way as a mono.
Still, not sure I'd send these down the barrel of a vintage rifle.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote