New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extractor's protrusion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much should the extractor(s) protrude from the barrels' face?

On my Heym 88 (with ejectors deactivated), they only stick out about 4mm, and I really have to catch the rim with my nails to get the rounds out.

I noticed that the cam engages the extractors quite late on opening. If it engaged almost upon opening, then the extractors would push the rounds far enough.

Any way to overcome that, short of changing the extractors?

Thanks.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
How much should the extractor(s) protrude from the barrels' face?

On my Heym 88 (with ejectors deactivated), they only stick out about 4mm, and I really have to catch the rim with my nails to get the rounds out.

I noticed that the cam engages the extractors quite late on opening. If it engaged almost upon opening, then the extractors would push the rounds far enough.

Any way to overcome that, short of changing the extractors?

Thanks.

Philip, if you have access to a tig welder you can build up the cam surface slightly,with hard surface rod, then grind it down till it lifts the extractors the amount you want, and will still opperate properly when the ejectors are enguaged!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Thanks. Thought of it, but was not sure if it was advisable. I'll look for a TIG welder and get to it.

Will do a couple of tries on a scrap rod first, to see if I can build up without bending things more than strictly needed!

I assume that there is such a long delay in the cam's engagement because the gun is designed as an ejector rifle, and the extractor is only supposed to move the unfired rounds just enough for you to pick them if you really want to.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,

Thanks. Thought of it, but was not sure if it was advisable. I'll look for a TIG welder and get to it.

Will do a couple of tries on a scrap rod first, to see if I can build up without bending things more than strictly needed!

I assume that there is such a long delay in the cam's engagement because the gun is designed as an ejector rifle, and the extractor is only supposed to move the unfired rounds just enough for you to pick them if you really want to.

Actually you are right that is the reason they are that way, and actually the rounds will jus slide out if you tip the rifle muzzles up with the action open with loaded rounds in the chambers. with empties you can flipp it back sharply and they will eject as well. I like the selector feature on the Heyms, and I used mine when shooting paper, and the ejectors when hunting! Check to see how close the cam is when the ejectors are selected, there may not be enough difference to allow the build up, but it is a close timing thing! The tig shouldn't heat the steel too much, They weld about as cool as is possible, and it shouldn't take too much.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem with the ejector's timing, the ejector's "kickers" (no idea what's the critters' real name...) act on the end of the stem, while the extractor's cam acts on a ledge farther down the stem, so there is no interference between the two.

You have the disconnect switch, can you tell me if you think that this could be retrofitted on an existing forearm?

Thanks

Philip

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have the disconnect switch, can you tell me if you think that this could be retrofitted on an existing forearm?

Thanks

Philip I no longr have the Heym, and it has been years since I've owned one, so I have nothing to look at to see how they are made. All my opinions are based on memory only. You might contact New GUY he is the American importer of Heym rifles, and has examples in his position that he can look at first hand. I'd also get his advice on the welding build up as well. The more info you have the better!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith