Find
Notify
Tools

.450 3 1/4" BPC conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
DR X-perts,

Noticed a really nice Lang ejector DR in 450 3 1/4" for sale today.

Rifle is really-really nice, but the cartridge is a bit tame for anything "big".

If somebody (me) were to purchase such a rifle, what could it be rechambered for that would be suitable for DG?...Or, is there a load that could get the thing up to snuff for said DG use.

(Keep in mind the thing is a scant under 9 pounds)

Any ideas? (other than don't change a thing)

Logical and constructive input welcomed,

JW

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The person to ask is the seller. I know the rifle you are referring to and it is a beautiful rifle. The wood is spectacular.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mind the gun is too light weight to be a dangerous game gun. I think it would be a delight to use on mid sized game as it was intended. It is a lovely piece.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Do you mean BPE (black powder express)instead of BPC? I'd appreciate it as it is and not consider it enough for a DG rifle nor any conversion if it's a BPE.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Probably depends on when it was made and of what material. It probably has none too thick barrels if it only weighs nine pounds.

It just depends. The English made grossly heavy for cartridge rifles. My theory has always been that they used basically the same size action for every rifle and therefore the smaller cartridge rifles were even heavier then their big brother counterparts. Like the mass produced rifle barrels of today.

Nine pounds is a godsend. You're a strapping young boy. Recoil should not bother you.

If you figure that you can go nitro, go for it. If you don't like I'll take it as a much appreciated gift, sent from god. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a sin to rechamber or deface this fine gun. If you want a NE, buy a NE, but don't ruin a fine original gun by a GREAT maker.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
It would be a sin to rechamber or deface this fine gun. If you want a NE, buy a NE, but don't ruin a fine original gun by a GREAT maker.
ND Smiler

I agree!! If you want to shoot game with it hunt with the loads it was meant for. Many animals have fallen to that caliber.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ND

Good advise and after consultation with the seller it is my decision not to alter this pristine "relic", thus will pass...And the search goes on!!!

Thanks everybody!

JW

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Gee, let me think. Old double that is or is not converted. A treasure among treasures.

Either way, it winds up in the Salvation Army dumpster when you die. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Gee, let me think. Old double that is or is not converted. A treasure among treasures.

Either way, it winds up in the Salvation Army dumpster when you die. Smiler"

WOW.....I'm real glad you were not the caretaker of my prize pieces. That is an awfully shallow understanding of the collector gun market you are displaying.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oNLY will's guns end up there - Single trigger, too light for calibre !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You forgot to mention I will be in the same dumpster with my rifles!